New Orleans Saints Forums - blackandgold.com

New Orleans Saints Forums - blackandgold.com (https://blackandgold.com/community/)
-   Saints (https://blackandgold.com/saints/)
-   -   NOLA.com Saints among teams planning private workout with Baker Mayfield (https://blackandgold.com/saints/87682-saints-among-teams-planning-private-workout-baker-mayfield.html)

WillSaints81 03-08-2018 09:57 PM

Re: Saints among teams planning private workout with Baker Mayfield
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphoria (Post 793986)
No way he falls to us.

But Saints kick tires and talk/work out EVERYONE. So its no surprise.

If we make a run at him we'd have to think we'd have to move up to #1 as the first oppitunity to snag him. At what cost???

Would Ingram be the scapegoat for Payton to have his way? I mean after his year last year is he now worth a first round pick? Maybe him and Armstead together? Don't put anything past Payton.

WillSaints81 03-08-2018 10:00 PM

Re: Saints among teams planning private workout with Baker Mayfield
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisXVI (Post 793987)
Not really up to Brees. If Payton wants to start grooming a young QB he will.


Brady wanted JG gone in NE. I'm curious how Brees would take this.

WillSaints81 03-08-2018 10:01 PM

Re: Saints among teams planning private workout with Baker Mayfield
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beastmode (Post 793996)
So we sign Brees to a two year deal, spend a bunch of picks to grab this guy and he sits the bench. Ok. Looking forward to seeing him throw his first pass in 2020.


Payton will probably start taking the ball out of Brees' hands as early as next year for those special trick plays. He's already implemented the wildcat.

AsylumGuido 03-09-2018 12:10 PM

Re: Saints among teams planning private workout with Baker Mayfield
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SmashMouth (Post 794009)
BB draft QBs all of the time. You don't think they are not drafting one this year? The Saints will draft a QB this year. We just don't know where in the draft yet.

No. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we draft a QB. But, I cannot see any scenario where we burn picks to move up to take one. You do not trade away multiple picks to draft a QB in the first round to just sit him on the bench for a couple of years. Especially when you are position to win it all now. I cannot see anyone being that stupid.

Rugby Saint II 03-09-2018 01:33 PM

Re: Saints among teams planning private workout with Baker Mayfield
 
We have a limited amount of draft capital. We can't afford to let the team spend it on a player who won't play for 2-3 years. We are close to another Championship and filling a couple of positions for BPA at a position of need is the way to draft in my opinion.I don't even see us drafting a QB this year or next. We will pick outside the top talent if we continue post season play,

halloween 65 03-09-2018 03:58 PM

Re: Saints among teams planning private workout with Baker Mayfield
 
My question is what money do we spend on Brees on a 2 year contract? The market is going to be set by Cousins and Rodgers is waiting on that to set the field, so do we pay Brees that type of money at his age( not saying he hasn't performed) or do we possibly roll the dice with rookie that could come in with a great O-line, top running game, really good recieving core not to mention a young D that finally plays as a unit and can keep us in tight games.

AsylumGuido 03-09-2018 04:17 PM

Re: Saints among teams planning private workout with Baker Mayfield
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by halloween 65 (Post 794097)
My question is what money do we spend on Brees on a 2 year contract? The market is going to be set by Cousins and Rodgers is waiting on that to set the field, so do we pay Brees that type of money at his age( not saying he hasn't performed) or do we possibly roll the dice with rookie that could come in with a great O-line, top running game, really good recieving core not to mention a young D that finally plays as a unit and can keep us in tight games.

The second option is a disaster waiting to happen. It would most likely ruin any shot of the Saints winning their second Lombardi anytime soon. Thanks, but no thanks.

halloween 65 03-09-2018 07:23 PM

Re: Saints among teams planning private workout with Baker Mayfield
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido (Post 794099)
The second option is a disaster waiting to happen. It would most likely ruin any shot of the Saints winning their second Lombardi anytime soon. Thanks, but no thanks.

Well with that said. If Brees can't give us that 2nd Superbowl title after paying out top dollar at the qb. position it wouldn't matter anyway. Now do you think N.E. would keep paying Brady without all those trophies, I bet B.B. would trade him just like he usually does with aging players but since he has produced (5) it's justified. Been a long time since 2009 with the teams we fielded.

Rugby Saint II 03-09-2018 07:42 PM

Re: Saints among teams planning private workout with Baker Mayfield
 
You don't replace a QB who is still putting up Hall of Fame numbers and has always worked with the team to keep money available for players through a restructured deal. He will earn every penny we pay him and then some. It is not his fault Loomis loves to back load contracts.

AsylumGuido 03-10-2018 03:35 PM

Re: Saints among teams planning private workout with Baker Mayfield
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by halloween 65 (Post 794131)
Well with that said. If Brees can't give us that 2nd Superbowl title after paying out top dollar at the qb. position it wouldn't matter anyway. Now do you think N.E. would keep paying Brady without all those trophies, I bet B.B. would trade him just like he usually does with aging players but since he has produced (5) it's justified. Been a long time since 2009 with the teams we fielded.

No. Because Brady is still playing at a very high level, just as is Brees. The one key player hardest to replace is QB, which I know you know. Our best possible chance in the near future of another championship involves Brees. I can't imagine another scenario that would work.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2020 - BlackandGold.com