Go Back   New Orleans Saints Forums - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Worst rule in football wonít change until it affects a championship game

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; My question is last night one of the sideline ref’s threw a spot marker on the 1 1/2 yard line where TLL step out of bounds before launching for the end zone. . If he was out of bounds at ...

Like Tree38Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2018, 08:46 AM   #11
100th Post
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lafayette, La and Valencia CA
Posts: 276
Re: Worst rule in football wonít change until it affects a championship game

My question is last night one of the sideline ref’s threw a spot marker on the 1 1/2 yard line where TLL step out of bounds before launching for the end zone. . If he was out of bounds at the you can’t fumble the ball in bounds.

Did they pick up that marker / over rule that sideline ref who has that responsibility or just blow it off?
WW_Who_Dat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:53 AM   #12
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Baton Rouge, LA.
Posts: 1,057
Re: Worst rule in football wonít change until it affects a championship game

TLL didn’t step out of bounds...he clearly fumbled while in bounds. I will say that it was close as to where the ball was when it crossed the pylon. They have a camera on top but it’s still subjective as to if it crossed the pylon in bounds.
Euphoria likes this.
Rsanders24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:46 AM   #13
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: in line with my ridiculous CLEAR PLASTIC BAG
Posts: 3,629
Blog Entries: 3
Re: Worst rule in football wonít change until it affects a championship game

That was a colossal screw up by TommyLee there. He should have just wrapped up the ball and gone down in bounds, run off even more clock, kick the field goal, or else live to try again on 4th down. Based on the whole game, I had little to no doubt that our defense was going to be able to keep Carolina from marching down and scoring a touchdown, but when you leave it potentially with a field goal to tie, and NO POINTS, that was really incredibly stupid.
SaintsBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:02 AM   #14
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 6,324
Re: Worst rule in football wonít change until it affects a championship game

Originally Posted by SaintsBro View Post
That was a colossal screw up by TommyLee there. He should have just wrapped up the ball and gone down in bounds, run off even more clock, kick the field goal, or else live to try again on 4th down. Based on the whole game, I had little to no doubt that our defense was going to be able to keep Carolina from marching down and scoring a touchdown, but when you leave it potentially with a field goal to tie, and NO POINTS, that was really incredibly stupid.
Plus, the 20 yards changes everything.
Let's say he goes down at the 2, and we go on fourth and don't get it. Operating out of your endzone really limits the play call. Hindsight.
SaintsBro and Rueben Mayes like this.
ScottF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:11 AM   #15
A Cajun Transforming TX
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Woodlands, Texas
Posts: 2,676
Re: Worst rule in football wonít change until it affects a championship game

Originally Posted by lumm0x View Post
Love the rule. It emphasizes the importance of ball security in the red zone. As neugey said, the offense just has to break the plane so they have the luxury to be reckless with the ball near the goal line as once the plane is broken it's a done deal. I like that the defense has a chance to make a drive stopping play forcing a fumble into a touch back. I like that an element of ball security needs to punish carelessness on the part of offenses.

Payton got too cute, Lewis hopefully learned a valuable lesson and Carolina deserved the opportunity they got by taking advantage of our mental errors. The rule is fine and if it costs a team a game in the playoffs it's not a rule needing change. A team commits that error they deserve the outcome.
So if the offense loses possession on this part of the field and you are OK with it then why not make it the same rule on the rest of the field? Offense fumbles out of bounds, give it to the defense. Same thing right? It's a dumb rule if the defense doesn't have possession, they shouldn't be rewarded with the ball. You want to penalize the offense for fumbling in the red zone and thru the endzone, then move them back to the 20 but they retain possession.
WhoDat!656 likes this.
Budsdrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 11:43 AM   #16
Site Donor 2018
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Shreveport,Louisiana
Posts: 15,383
Re: Worst rule in football wonít change until it affects a championship game

Originally Posted by Budsdrinker View Post
So if the offense loses possession on this part of the field and you are OK with it then why not make it the same rule on the rest of the field? Offense fumbles out of bounds, give it to the defense. Same thing right? It's a dumb rule if the defense doesn't have possession, they shouldn't be rewarded with the ball. You want to penalize the offense for fumbling in the red zone and thru the endzone, then move them back to the 20 but they retain possession.
Well, if you are going to use logic and reasoning...
WhoDat!656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 12:08 PM   #17
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 6,324
Re: Worst rule in football wonít change until it affects a championship game

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/1...ge-suggestions
ScottF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 12:09 PM   #18
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hollywood, CA
Posts: 7,566
Blog Entries: 5
Re: Worst rule in football wonít change until it affects a championship game

I don't blame TLL in that situation.

Your job is to put the ball in the end zone everytime you get it if you can. If he had scored no one would say boo about him reaching it over.

It happened and its over.
WhoDat!656 likes this.
Euphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 12:13 PM   #19
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 6,324
Re: Worst rule in football wonít change until it affects a championship game

Originally Posted by Euphoria View Post
I don't blame TLL in that situation.

Your job is to put the ball in the end zone everytime you get it if you can. If he had scored no one would say boo about him reaching it over.

It happened and its over.
reminded me of Reggie always trying to do more bc he wasn't getting touches. Aggressive, but def not smart in that spot
SaintsBro and Rueben Mayes like this.
ScottF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 12:18 PM   #20
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hollywood, CA
Posts: 7,566
Blog Entries: 5
Re: Worst rule in football wonít change until it affects a championship game

Here is the beauty of the rule...

We all play by the same rules, one day it may benefit us and we won't care. lol.
Euphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://blackandgold.com/saints/91593-worst-rule-football-won-t-change-until-affects-championship-game.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
Worst rule in football wonít change until it affects a championship game This thread Refback 12-18-2018 06:00 AM 2


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2020 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts