Go Back   New Orleans Saints Forums - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
View Poll Results: Saints Fans On The Conference Championships
Pulling for Chiefs, San Francisco 2 15.38%
Pulling for Chiefs, Green Bay 1 7.69%
Pulling for Titans, San Francisco 4 30.77%
Pulling for Titans, Green Bay 3 23.08%
None - Focused on the Saints Offseason, Free Agency, Draft 3 23.08%
None - Wake Me When September's here! 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

2019-20 Conference Championship Games

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by CHA_CHING Can't crucify you for liking Steve Young. The guy was legit and an underdog his entire career despite being a statistically dominant QB who is only now appreciated in the era of advanced stats when people ...

Like Tree49Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2020, 08:15 PM   #51
Site Donor 2015
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Baton Rouge, La
Posts: 1,548
Re: 2019-20 Conference Championship Games

Originally Posted by CHA_CHING View Post
Can't crucify you for liking Steve Young. The guy was legit and an underdog his entire career despite being a statistically dominant QB who is only now appreciated in the era of advanced stats when people go back and realize he was great. He was always in Montana's shadow, even after he got a ring. Young also took some of the most brutal hits I ever seen a QB take. I seen him take some brutal helmet to helmet hits from the pocket. It seemed like teams intentionally targeted him to take him out of games. This led to the Niners backups Bono and Grbac becoming hot commodities when the team still won games without their starting QB.

I have always felt bad for Young. When going through DVOA and stats of the 90s, he is always, always in the top 3 of QBs for every year up to his retirement and was #1 until 1995 when Favre overtook him and yet even after that, during Favre's prime, Young had some great years left in him.

Young is also a hard QB to analyze cause he was rarely healthy after 1994, which was his best season. The Niners probably win another SB in 1995 to go back to back to if he didn't sustain injuries that year and have to miss time. They finished the season with the #1 ranked defense, but only went 11-5 and then drew the Packers in the playoffs. GB was their kryptonite. Their highlight of the year was going into Dallas and stomping the Cowboys without Young starting.

I often see Rodgers compared to him due to their circumstances of replacing a HoF QB, but Rodgers has regressed since 2014. Young still led the league in TDs at age 38 and his entire prime was all through his 30s. I hate the Niners, but I have always respected him, even more so since digging into DVOA stuff.


Yea, they used to clean his clock back then but he had heart though
CHA_CHING likes this.
Lord_Saint83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:16 PM   #52
Hou Saints Fan
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 5,047
Re: 2019-20 Conference Championship Games

Originally Posted by Lord_Saint83 View Post
When i got into football in the early 90ís i was a big steve young fan. Don't crucify me, lol. So i always liked SF but i loved NO i know it sounds weird being in the same division at the time. But imma weird guy. Anyways when young left i didn't care about SF and as you said i hated them with Harbaugh but after his ass left my hatred for them calmed. They just don't bother me like ATL, LAR, DAL, NE, MIN, SEA, and GB. Iíll prolly get some flack from most here for liking SF as a kid and still loving the Saints. But oh well.
I grew up the same way but my hate for the 49ers started when they traded Joe Montana to the Chiefs
Lord_Saint83 likes this.
RaginCajun83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:23 PM   #53
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 1,159
Re: 2019-20 Conference Championship Games

Originally Posted by RaginCajun83 View Post
I grew up the same way but my hate for the 49ers started when they traded Joe Montana to the Chiefs
Those Chiefs teams were likable and easy to root for.

Joe Montana, Marcus Allen, Derrick Thomas and Neil Smith. 3 HoFers and a great All Pro player.

90s Chiefs had some great defenses and it's really hard to believe those teams never won a playoff game after 1993. They finished 13-3 twice and couldn't win a playoff game at home.
CHA_CHING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:30 PM   #54
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 1,159
Re: 2019-20 Conference Championship Games

If the Chiefs can beat this Niners team in 2 weeks, then hats off to Mahomes and Andy Reid.

After our heart breaks and going through rough patches, I'm to a point where I root for guys labeled as "chokers". I would be happy to see Reid get over the hump and win a SB.
neugey and st thomas like this.
CHA_CHING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:30 PM   #55
Site Donor 2018
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lafayette
Posts: 6,916
Re: 2019-20 Conference Championship Games

Them 9ers were payed with dirty money not counting down rite cheated the new salary cap back when and when they got caught they had to sell the farm debartilo which was a crook by trade was banned, taken over by his sister I believe and then they went to suck mode


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
st thomas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:36 PM   #56
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 1,159
Re: 2019-20 Conference Championship Games

Originally Posted by st thomas View Post
Them 9ers were payed with dirty money not counting down rite cheated the new salary cap back when and when they got caught they had to sell the farm debartilo which was a crook by trade was banned, taken over by his sister I believe and then they went to suck mode


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The 1994 49ers? Yes... They are the reason the salary cap came into play.

Their off season that year was crazy. They basically assembled a pro bowl roster with all their defensive signings. They picked up Richard Dent, Charles Mann, Ken Norton, Rickey Jackson, Deion Sanders, Gary Plummer and a few others. Even on offense, they were able to snag a few gems for a loaded roster. Ed McCaffrey won 3 SBs in his career - that one, and then the back to back with Denver a few years later.

The 1997-1998 Broncos also cheated the cap pretty hard and are the main other team besides SF who are the reason why there had to be such strict rules intact for the salary cap going into the 2000s.
neugey and st thomas like this.
CHA_CHING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:41 PM   #57
Site Donor 2018
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lafayette
Posts: 6,916
Re: 2019-20 Conference Championship Games

Originally Posted by CHA_CHING View Post
The 1994 49ers? Yes... They are the reason the salary cap came into play.

Their off season that year was crazy. They basically assembled a pro bowl roster with all their defensive signings. They picked up Richard Dent, Charles Mann, Ken Norton, Rickey Jackson, Deion Sanders, Gary Plummer and a few others. Even on offense, they were able to snag a few gems for a loaded roster. Ed McCaffrey won 3 SBs in his career - that one, and then the back to back with Denver a few years later.

The 1997-1998 Broncos also cheated the cap pretty hard and are the main other team besides SF who are the reason why there had to be such strict rules intact for the salary cap going into the 2000s.


Hey thanks Ching bring back how much I hated those days lol u no ur ball bro.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CHA_CHING likes this.
st thomas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:44 PM   #58
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 1,159
Re: 2019-20 Conference Championship Games

Originally Posted by st thomas View Post
Hey thanks Ching bring back how much I hated those days lol u no ur ball bro.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That story at least had a happy ending with a guy called Favre making them into their punching bag in the playoffs back then lol.

On a serious note, I was happy Rickey Jackson was able to get a ring, which probably helped him get into the Hall of Fame in the long run. Canton seems to consider guys more seriously if they have a ring.
st thomas likes this.
CHA_CHING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:45 PM   #59
Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 14
Re: 2019-20 Conference Championship Games

Man, that was just a 3 hour "We going to the 'ship" party.. that should have been the Superdome last year
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:45 PM   #60
Site Donor 2018
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lafayette
Posts: 6,916
Re: 2019-20 Conference Championship Games

Originally Posted by CHA_CHING View Post
That story at least had a happy ending with a guy called Favre making them into their punching bag in the playoffs back then lol.



On a serious note, I was happy Rickey Jackson was able to get a ring, which probably helped him get into the Hall of Fame in the long run. Canton seems to consider guys more seriously if they have a ring.


Yes for rick I agree


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
st thomas is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://blackandgold.com/saints/96840-2019-20-conference-championship-games.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
2019-20 Conference Championship Games This thread Refback 01-19-2020 03:37 PM 2


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2020 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts