Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

SAINTS DT Discussion

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; I am kind of tired of hearing things like " Maybe if we trade this guy, or this draft pick, or both said player and draft picks" maybe we can get Suh!!! I can't seem to get it through to ...

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 09:42 AM   #1
Where y'at baby
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Nashville via Metry!!!!
Posts: 191
SAINTS DT Discussion

I am kind of tired of hearing things like " Maybe if we trade this guy, or this draft pick, or both said player and draft picks" maybe we can get Suh!!! I can't seem to get it through to these people we can not give up players like J. Brown, C. Grant, or even L. Moore and draft picks for this guy. Didn't we learn anything from the Ditka/R. Williams deal!???

Now what DT I did want to get some thoughts on is UCLA's Brian Price. I have only seen a few of his games... he kinda fits the Sed Ellis mold as far as size....but he seems to play with better leverage and power. Most important I think he can be had at the bottom of the first where we will be picking.

Thoughts folks....maybe from people with better knowledge of the guy???
FatCitySaint is offline  
Old 01-01-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
Got a problem?
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 10,475
Re: SAINTS DT Discussion

I honestly don't know much about the guy so I couldn't really give a good assessment on him. But as far as finding a DT opposite Ellis, I'd like to kick around the tires and see what KC would give Dorsey up for. He feel out of favor in KC and hasn't been anywhere close to what they thought he would become. If we could get him for a mid round pick, I'd love to see Ellis and Dorsey pair up. In college, each studied each others game and tried to emulate one another. If a change of scenery and coming back home could light a fire under Dorsey, I think we'd wreck havoc in opponents backfield.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

All little common sense goes a long way.
papz is offline  
Old 01-01-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
Faqda Falcons
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ruston, Louisiana
Posts: 3,460
Blog Entries: 3
Re: SAINTS DT Discussion

If we don't draft a DT in the first two rounds, one sleeper I've kept my eye on all-season is D'Anthony Smith out of Louisiana Tech. At 6' 2", 300, he is projected as a 3rd or 4th round selection. He's got a nice burst, and I've seen him sling QB's down like rag dolls. His sack stats dropped after busting out his junior year, but it was mainly because he was double-teamed frequently. He has the versatility to play DE, as well. Reminds me of Anthony Hargrove....just without the checkered past.
D_it_up is offline  
Old 01-01-2010, 11:01 AM   #4
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: "Little Ole Town in Tejas"
Posts: 7,770
Re: SAINTS DT Discussion

Originally Posted by D_it_up View Post
If we don't draft a DT in the first two rounds, one sleeper I've kept my eye on all-season is D'Anthony Smith out of Louisiana Tech. At 6' 2", 300, he is projected as a 3rd or 4th round selection. He's got a nice burst, and I've seen him sling QB's down like rag dolls. His sack stats dropped after busting out his junior year, but it was mainly because he was double-teamed frequently. He has the versatility to play DE, as well. Reminds me of Anthony Hargrove....just without the checkered past.
Ive seen him to..i would like someone bigger ..although he wouldnt be a bad pick..
strato is offline  
Old 01-01-2010, 12:23 PM   #5
Where y'at baby
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Nashville via Metry!!!!
Posts: 191
Re: SAINTS DT Discussion

Yeah ...but we have Big Sed already ... so i'm thinking we need a run stuffer. Putting Dorsey next to Ellis wouldn't give us as much success as say a Pat Williams or Vince Wilfork type...we need a big wide body next to Ellis no????

Hargrove is nice on third downs....but he is exactly what is killing us in the middle on run downs....he's to light.

Last edited by FatCitySaint; 01-01-2010 at 12:28 PM..
FatCitySaint is offline  
Old 01-01-2010, 12:49 PM   #6
100th Post
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 275
Re: SAINTS DT Discussion

Originally Posted by FatCitySaint View Post
Yeah ...but we have Big Sed already ... so i'm thinking we need a run stuffer. Putting Dorsey next to Ellis wouldn't give us as much success as say a Pat Williams or Vince Wilfork type...we need a big wide body next to Ellis no????

Hargrove is nice on third downs....but he is exactly what is killing us in the middle on run downs....he's to light.
Hargrove is a DE really. I think it was out of necessity he slid over to tackle.
Savant is offline  
Old 01-01-2010, 01:03 PM   #7
Got a problem?
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 10,475
Re: SAINTS DT Discussion

Originally Posted by FatCitySaint View Post
Yeah ...but we have Big Sed already ... so i'm thinking we need a run stuffer. Putting Dorsey next to Ellis wouldn't give us as much success as say a Pat Williams or Vince Wilfork type...we need a big wide body next to Ellis no????
Coming out of college, many projected Ellis to be a run stuffing DT perfect for a NT in a 3-4. I honestly could careless about the 10 pounds which people use to label DT's as a run stuffer or pass rusher. If both can penetrate the back field, whether they're 300 or 315, they're going to occupy blockers freeing up linebackers. The Pat Williams, Vince Wilfork, and Casey Hamptons of the league aren't leaving their respective teams. But if we can find one which we can afford, I'll all for that type too.
papz is offline  
Old 01-01-2010, 01:39 PM   #8
The Dark Overlord
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: dirty south
Posts: 3,450
Re: SAINTS DT Discussion

Originally Posted by papz View Post
I honestly don't know much about the guy so I couldn't really give a good assessment on him. But as far as finding a DT opposite Ellis, I'd like to kick around the tires and see what KC would give Dorsey up for. He feel out of favor in KC and hasn't been anywhere close to what they thought he would become. If we could get him for a mid round pick, I'd love to see Ellis and Dorsey pair up. In college, each studied each others game and tried to emulate one another. If a change of scenery and coming back home could light a fire under Dorsey, I think we'd wreck havoc in opponents backfield.

Dorsey really hasnt been used correctly in KC.. they have been converting to a 3-4 and that definetly takes away from Dorseys pass rushing talents...
pakowitz is offline  
Old 01-01-2010, 02:41 PM   #9
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 5,375
Blog Entries: 4
Re: SAINTS DT Discussion

Papz held the nail and Pak hammered it. LOVE to see Dorsey in N.O.

With only 4 draft pick in 2010 we better turn to FA...
saintsfan1976 is offline  
Old 01-01-2010, 03:03 PM   #10
Where y'at baby
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Nashville via Metry!!!!
Posts: 191
Re: SAINTS DT Discussion

what good is a pass rush though if they never throw the ball??? See what I'm saying?

Tampa ran the ball ten times in a row in OT and we couldn't stop them...we know the rest of that story!!!
FatCitySaint is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/23405-saints-dt-discussion.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
The Latest New Orleans Saints News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 01-01-2010 02:40 PM 1


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts