Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

I hope and pray...

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; That we do not get another first round bust. For goodness sakes our entire D line are first rounders. (Although I don't think Cam Jordan is a bust) he just needs help. Will Smith was good in his prime. But ...

Like Tree3Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
100th Post
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 247
I hope and pray...

That we do not get another first round bust. For goodness sakes our entire D line are first rounders. (Although I don't think Cam Jordan is a bust) he just needs help. Will Smith was good in his prime. But Ellis, P Rob, Jenkins, Bunkley, (although he had Dummerville in Denver). But please I hope we don't get another bust.
Utah_Saint likes this.
iWho_Dat is offline  
Latest Blogs
REFUND Last Blog: 12-07-2014 By: xan




Saints: A glimpse of the future Last Blog: 11-19-2014 By: lee909


Old 01-01-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
SaintSince67
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PortCity
Posts: 1,781
Re: I hope and pray...

There just aren't any guarantees.
Players may flash and then never flame again.
It's more difficult than it seems to translate college success to the big league.
I just want to see some solid, disciplined play.
Have coaches KNOW what they can count on week to week and then patch the rest.
We were like a box of chocolates.
I'm with you iWhoDat!
I hope the draft and FA works to solidify next season.
Scoring +20 needs to be a win EVERY week.
darstep is offline  
Old 01-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
Bounty Money $$$
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 5800 Airline Dr. Metairie, LA.
Posts: 11,707
Re: I hope and pray...

I hope and pray that Sean can find all of those notes he's been making. There will be a lot of them. He may need a U-Haul.LOL
Rugby Saint II is offline  
Old 01-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 17,076
Re: I hope and pray...

Bunkley is a very good NT, not a bust.
Will Smith was OK but obviously declining.
Ellis isn't a bust, he's simply average (overpaid)
Jordan looks very good, the definition of "not a bust".

I don't think we understand the term BUST. A bust is a guy picked high in the draft thats out of the league in 3 years.
Utah_Saint likes this.
Danno is online now  
Old 01-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #5
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Nottinghamshire, UK
Posts: 4,690
Re: I hope and pray...

Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Bunkley is a very good NT, not a bust.
Will Smith was OK but obviously declining.
Ellis isn't a bust, he's simply average (overpaid)
Jordan looks very good, the definition of "not a bust".

I don't think we understand the term BUST. A bust is a guy picked high in the draft thats out of the league in 3 years.
I agree with all your points except the bit about sedrick Ellis

When you pick a player with the 8th pick in the first round, average is not good enough, nothing short of being good is acceptable when he was that good in college
The fact that he seems like a below average player makes me think he's a bust, especially when he held out for more money (even though that was his agents move)
dizzle88 is offline  
Old 01-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 17,076
Re: I hope and pray...

Originally Posted by dizzle88 View Post
I agree with all your points except the bit about sedrick Ellis

When you pick a player with the 8th pick in the first round, average is not good enough, nothing short of being good is acceptable when he was that good in college
The fact that he seems like a below average player makes me think he's a bust, especially when he held out for more money (even though that was his agents move)
I guess it depends on your definition of bust.

To me, busts are Jonathan Sullivan, Ryan Leaf, Alex Molden, etc... not someone who was somewhat productive for 4 or 5 years in the league.
Danno is online now  
Old 01-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #7
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Haven Ct
Posts: 18,900
Re: I hope and pray...

Its all a shot in the dark.
QBREES9 is offline  
Old 01-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #8
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 2,309
Re: I hope and pray...

Originally Posted by Danno View Post
I guess it depends on your definition of bust.

To me, busts are Jonathan Sullivan, Ryan Leaf, Alex Molden, etc... not someone who was somewhat productive for 4 or 5 years in the league.
Semantics

How bout we agree that we "hope and pray" for a player that lives up to the potential that got him drafted in the 1st round.

When was the last time the Saints drafted a 1st rounder that was an impact player right out of the gate? Bush? Jenkins? I think Jammal Brown was the last Saints first rounder that's been to a Probowl.
dizzle88 likes this.
Utah_Saint is offline  
Old 01-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #9
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Land Mass between LA and AL
Posts: 3,782
Re: I hope and pray...

Originally Posted by QBREES9 View Post
Its all a shot in the dark.
It seems to be for us. We have had much better luck with late round draft picks. They need to dedicate to defense for the draft and not "best player available" this year.
Mardigras9 is offline  
Old 01-04-2013, 04:58 PM   #10
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 17,076
Re: I hope and pray...

Originally Posted by Mardigras9 View Post
It seems to be for us. We have had much better luck with late round draft picks. They need to dedicate to defense for the draft and not "best player available" this year.
Not in the last 5 years...
2012 4 122 Nick Toon WR Wisconsin
2012 5 162 Corey White DB Samford
2012 6 179 Andrew Tiller G Syracuse
2012 7 234 Marcel Jones T Nebraska
2011 7 226 Greg Romeus DE Pittsburgh
2011 7 243 Nate Bussey LB Illinois
2010 4 123 Al Woods DT Louisiana State
2010 5 158 Matt Tennant C Boston College
2010 7 239 Sean Canfield QB Oregon State
2009 4 116 Chip Vaughn DB Wake Forest
2009 4 118 Stanley Arnoux LB Wake Forest
2009 5 164 Thomas Morstead P Southern Methodist
2008 5 144 DeMario Pressley DT North Carolina State
2008 5 164 Carl Nicks T Nebraska
2008 6 178 Taylor Mehlhaff K Wisconsin
2008 7 237 Adrian Arrington WR Michigan
Danno is online now  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/54239-i-hope-pray.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
The Latest New Orleans Saints News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 01-02-2013 05:57 AM 1
I hope and pray... This thread Refback 01-01-2013 10:47 PM 7


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts