Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

I hate to bring this up, but...

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; One year at a time my friend. If we get the ring, look for a wholesale buh-bye next year. If we don't many, including Jimmy"ll be around for a while. The Pats are going to need TEs this year and ...

Like Tree15Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #11
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bayou Bayfield CO
Posts: 2,833
Re: I hate to bring this up, but...

One year at a time my friend. If we get the ring, look for a wholesale buh-bye next year. If we don't many, including Jimmy"ll be around for a while. The Pats are going to need TEs this year and Jimmy's ours for this one.*

*Providing he stays healthy.
Seer1 is offline  
Old 06-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #12
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 15,756
Re: I hate to bring this up, but...

Originally Posted by SapperSaint View Post
I wish I could believe he isn't going to leave. Money talks folks. If the crappiest team throws guranteed millions at him, I think her leave "loyalty" at the door.

Not bringing up old wounds; Drew left "Loyaty" at the front door of his house when it came to his contract/money.
Drew stayed loyal, he just won the contract negotiation game. Sorry, I seem to be one of the few people that wouldn't pay his employer to work for him. Dollar values are moot, when negotiating employment you give nothing because they are not going to just give more to you than they have to.


Which teams did he visit? What were his other offers?
TheOak is online now  
Old 06-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #13
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Southlake, TX
Posts: 1,669
Re: I hate to bring this up, but...

Originally Posted by TheOak View Post
Drew stayed loyal, he just won the contract negotiation game. Sorry, I seem to be one of the few people that wouldn't pay his employer to work for him. Dollar values are moot, when negotiating employment you give nothing because they are not going to just give more to you than they have to.


Which teams did he visit? What were his other offers?
Saints placed their exclusive-rights franchise tag on Brees. Under the rules of the exclusive franchise tag, Brees could not be contacted by other teams and remained exclusive property of the Saints.
biloxi-indian is offline  
Old 06-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #14
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bayou Cane
Posts: 6,312
Blog Entries: 11
Re: I hate to bring this up, but...

Worst case scenario - he gets franchised next season, approximately 6.5mil/year, then we could tag him again next year with escalator, allowing two years to find a replacement...

The smart move: contract extension now, giving more money sooner and spreading the salary cap hit over more years with less of a dent per year...

He gets wealthier faster and the Saints have a manageable salary impact...

Plus you eliminate the "distraction"; and Drew won't let the big Mo affect his play, game...
jeanpierre is offline  
Old 06-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #15
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 15,756
Re: I hate to bring this up, but...

Originally Posted by biloxi-indian View Post
Saints placed their exclusive-rights franchise tag on Brees. Under the rules of the exclusive franchise tag, Brees could not be contacted by other teams and remained exclusive property of the Saints.
That's correct, and he won his franchise tag appeal, he could have played under the tag and made more money last year and hit the market this year. But he didn't, he signed his contract....

Last edited by TheOak; 06-21-2013 at 05:42 PM..
TheOak is online now  
Old 06-21-2013, 06:23 PM   #16
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston Tx
Posts: 1,219
Re: I hate to bring this up, but...

I was thinking the samething and I believe your right we need to sign him before the seasons over.
Luda34 is offline  
Old 06-21-2013, 07:09 PM   #17
500th Post
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 684
Re: I hate to bring this up, but...

Loyalty? No such thing anymore from either side. "When I say it's a game, you say it's a business. When I say it's a business, you say it's a game."
Seer1 likes this.
vpheughan is offline  
Old 06-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #18
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Southlake, TX
Posts: 1,669
Re: I hate to bring this up, but...

Originally Posted by TheOak View Post
That's correct, and he won his franchise tag appeal, he could have played under the tag and made more money last year and hit the market this year. But he didn't, he signed his contract....
Oak, just for the record, there is no appeal with a franchise tag. He negotiated a long-term deal. If he had not negotiated a long-term deal he could have taken the average salary for QB or sit out a year.

Also, the franchise tag was worth approximately $14mm/yr...so his approximate $20mm/yr was a bit more. Just saying.

Btw; I don't disagree with your premise, just the facts.
biloxi-indian is offline  
Old 06-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #19
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 15,756
Re: I hate to bring this up, but...

Originally Posted by biloxi-indian View Post
Oak, just for the record, there is no appeal with a franchise tag. He negotiated a long-term deal. If he had not negotiated a long-term deal he could have taken the average salary for QB or sit out a year.

Also, the franchise tag was worth approximately $14mm/yr...so his approximate $20mm/yr was a bit more. Just saying.

Btw; I don't disagree with your premise, just the facts.
You should maybe google a little more.... Search B&G..... Follow the Saints a little closer....

Here, I'll help you out.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...-vs-nfl-saints


"Just saying" .... Your wrong on all accounts. I didn't post premise, I posted facts.

Drews Franchise Tag after he won his appeal was worth 16m making his 2013 FT worth 23.5m for a two year total of 39,945,240.00 or let's just say 40 Million for ****z and grins.
ProMallNinja likes this.

Last edited by TheOak; 06-22-2013 at 06:18 AM..
TheOak is online now  
Old 06-21-2013, 10:56 PM   #20
11-5
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 2,568
Re: I hate to bring this up, but...

What me worry? Saints have Loomis, he'll make sure Jimmy gets paid and it doesn't put the Saints is salary cap hell for the next 5-8 years
RaginCajun83 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/58587-i-hate-bring-up-but.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
I hate to bring this up, but... This thread Refback 06-21-2013 08:59 AM 30
The Latest Aaron Hernandez News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 06-21-2013 08:44 AM 1
The Latest New Orleans Saints News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 06-21-2013 08:39 AM 11


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts