Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

49ers are scary good

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; I remember a story about what Sean said before either a Giants or Dallas before a prime time beatdown: Fan: “we’ll be praying for yall!” Sean: “You should be praying for them .” And we went on to blow them ...

Like Tree108Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2019, 11:09 PM   #11
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,413
Re: 49ers are scary good

I remember a story about what Sean said before either a Giants or Dallas before a prime time beatdown:

Fan: “we’ll be praying for yall!”

Sean: “You should be praying for them.”

And we went on to blow them out on national tv that night
Crusader and Rugby Saint II like this.
WillMacKenzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 11:46 PM   #12
Site Donor 2015
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Watford England
Posts: 7,900
Blog Entries: 1
Re: 49ers are scary good

If we want to talk about the luck of playing in bad divisions the Saints are super lucky

Panthers - meh

Tampa- The media best team on paper and surprise package each year

And the Falcons suck more than the AFC East,NFC East combined, and i love it
SaintGnome and CHA_CHING like this.
lee909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 12:40 AM   #13
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 1,012
Re: 49ers are scary good

Originally Posted by lee909 View Post
If we want to talk about the luck of playing in bad divisions the Saints are super lucky

Panthers - meh

Tampa- The media best team on paper and surprise package each year

And the Falcons suck more than the AFC East,NFC East combined, and i love it
Thank you and I love it too.

I've done data on the divisions over the years and the talk about the AFC East being "historically bad" is complete bull****. However, it IS true about the AFC South during the 2000s, and it's also true that no other team is really benefiting from crappy divisions more so than the Packers, Chiefs and Colts. They're the teams that barely go 10-6 or 11-5 and end up relying on those 5 or 6 division wins while struggling with their non-divisional opponents. Green Bay made the playoffs at 8-7-1 in 2014, thanks to 5 wins against their division. But I guess cause they have TEH RODGERZZZZ as Pats fans jokingly call them, they're never criticized for beating on their crap division and then laying an egg in the playoffs.

For the AFC South during the 2000s; for most of those years, the Colts had an expansion team to use as a punching bag (Houston), a crappy team that never did anything (Jacksonville), and a team coached by Jeff Fisher that would never go anywhere (Tennessee). It took Houston until 2015 or 2016 to finally win a game on the road in Indy. The Colts were still a force though during the Manning era. They more so benefited from a bad division between 2012 to 2015. The 2012 team had no business even being in the playoffs with what was the worst point differential of an 11-5 team in NFL history. Of that record, they were 5-1 vs their division, which is why they made the playoffs. They got destroyed by Baltimore in the first round.

The AFC South is truly the worst division in the NFL since the division realignment. It became a "wide open" division when the Colts declined but all it took was Indy to get their **** together and yet they still dominate that division. Even when Houston gets the division title, they still blow it in the playoffs and are no real threat to the Colts.

A team that goes 5-1 or 6-0 in their division and still at least is 12-4 or 13-3 and wins a playoff team, don't really benefit from a bad division.

However, teams that do go 10-6 or 11-5 thanks to a 5-1 or 6-0 record vs their division and then 5-5 the rest of the way through? Yep, those are the teams that do benefit from bad divisions (Green Bay in 2015 and 2016, K.C. in 3 of their last 4 playoff years). These are also the teams that put up embarrassing losses in the playoffs AT HOME.

I know we have a weak NFC South this year and I'm loving our dominance but I don't think we or the Patriots really benefit from it as much as people like to make that claim.
st thomas likes this.
CHA_CHING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 12:43 AM   #14
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,559
Blog Entries: 3
Re: 49ers are scary good

Originally Posted by lee909 View Post
If we want to talk about the luck of playing in bad divisions the Saints are super lucky

Panthers - meh

Tampa- The media best team on paper and surprise package each year

And the Falcons suck more than the AFC East,NFC East combined, and i love it
As opposing fans, it's fun to make fun of the teams in our division. I get it. But as it pertains to reality, and this specific subject, the Panthers and Falcons have both had a lot of playoff appearances in the Payton/Brees era, and have both appeared in Super Bowls. I fail to see how the Saints have been lucky. That just really isn't true.
jlouhill likes this.
burningmetal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 01:00 AM   #15
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,559
Blog Entries: 3
Re: 49ers are scary good

Originally Posted by CHA_CHING View Post
Thank you and I love it too.

I've done data on the divisions over the years and the talk about the AFC East being "historically bad" is complete bull****. However, it IS true about the AFC South during the 2000s, and it's also true that no other team is really benefiting from crappy divisions more so than the Packers, Chiefs and Colts. They're the teams that barely go 10-6 or 11-5 and end up relying on those 5 or 6 division wins while struggling with their non-divisional opponents. Green Bay made the playoffs at 8-7-1 in 2014, thanks to 5 wins against their division. But I guess cause they have TEH RODGERZZZZ as Pats fans jokingly call them, they're never criticized for beating on their crap division and then laying an egg in the playoffs.

For the AFC South during the 2000s; for most of those years, the Colts had an expansion team to use as a punching bag (Houston), a crappy team that never did anything (Jacksonville), and a team coached by Jeff Fisher that would never go anywhere (Tennessee). It took Houston until 2015 or 2016 to finally win a game on the road in Indy. The Colts were still a force though during the Manning era. They more so benefited from a bad division between 2012 to 2015. The 2012 team had no business even being in the playoffs with what was the worst point differential of an 11-5 team in NFL history. Of that record, they were 5-1 vs their division, which is why they made the playoffs. They got destroyed by Baltimore in the first round.

The AFC South is truly the worst division in the NFL since the division realignment. It became a "wide open" division when the Colts declined but all it took was Indy to get their **** together and yet they still dominate that division. Even when Houston gets the division title, they still blow it in the playoffs and are no real threat to the Colts.

A team that goes 5-1 or 6-0 in their division and still at least is 12-4 or 13-3 and wins a playoff team, don't really benefit from a bad division.

However, teams that do go 10-6 or 11-5 thanks to a 5-1 or 6-0 record vs their division and then 5-5 the rest of the way through? Yep, those are the teams that do benefit from bad divisions (Green Bay in 2015 and 2016, K.C. in 3 of their last 4 playoff years). These are also the teams that put up embarrassing losses in the playoffs AT HOME.

I know we have a weak NFC South this year and I'm loving our dominance but I don't think we or the Patriots really benefit from it as much as people like to make that claim.
Dude, I don't get what your problem is, and why you want to beat some pointless topic into the ground, even if you have to invent things to make your point.

Jacksonville and Tennessee might not have won super bowls, but they had several playoff appearances each, during Peyton's prime years there. It was by no means a "great" division, and maybe not even good most years. The AFC East, however, HAS been historically bad. The Bills have made one playoff appearance in the last 20 years, the Dolphins have made it only once or twice in the last 15 or so years, and the Jets about the same as the Dolphins. The Jets made it two years in a row way back in Mark Sanchez's first two years, and they were 9-7 in both seasons. And all three of those teams are almost always well below .500, not competitive 7-9 or 8-8 teams.

I don't know why you bring up the Chiefs. They haven't been on a long enough run for anyone to make note of why they have been successful. but, for what it's worth, the Chargers are almost always competitive, and the Broncos went to two Super Bowls not long ago, and are now in a rebuild. The AFC West hasn't been a toilet tank for 20 years. So you're reaching badly on that one.

Green Bay absolutely gets some criticism for at times having a weak division, but the Vikings have had plenty of good years, and the Lions and Bears have sprinkled in some good teams. Again, far better than what the AFC East can say.

But no one is suggesting that the Patriots haven't been better than these other teams. It's just that their regular season success, though impressive, has been inflated by having almost no competition within their division. But they do take care of business, and I made no effort to dispute that, so I'm not sure who you're arguing with and why you directed your issues at me earlier in this thread.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that, the NFL would fine and suspend me.
burningmetal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 03:30 AM   #16
500th Post
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 788
Re: 49ers are scary good

The 49ers are good and definitely the biggest threat to us in the NFC. That being said, the score today was lopsided because the Panthers made so many mistakes that they can't be counted on both hands.

What I did see is that you can run on them, which is going to be important when we meet.
hitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:02 AM   #17
Site Donor 2018
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lafayette
Posts: 6,322
Re: 49ers are scary good

Originally Posted by CHA_CHING View Post
Thank you and I love it too.

I've done data on the divisions over the years and the talk about the AFC East being "historically bad" is complete bull****. However, it IS true about the AFC South during the 2000s, and it's also true that no other team is really benefiting from crappy divisions more so than the Packers, Chiefs and Colts. They're the teams that barely go 10-6 or 11-5 and end up relying on those 5 or 6 division wins while struggling with their non-divisional opponents. Green Bay made the playoffs at 8-7-1 in 2014, thanks to 5 wins against their division. But I guess cause they have TEH RODGERZZZZ as Pats fans jokingly call them, they're never criticized for beating on their crap division and then laying an egg in the playoffs.

For the AFC South during the 2000s; for most of those years, the Colts had an expansion team to use as a punching bag (Houston), a crappy team that never did anything (Jacksonville), and a team coached by Jeff Fisher that would never go anywhere (Tennessee). It took Houston until 2015 or 2016 to finally win a game on the road in Indy. The Colts were still a force though during the Manning era. They more so benefited from a bad division between 2012 to 2015. The 2012 team had no business even being in the playoffs with what was the worst point differential of an 11-5 team in NFL history. Of that record, they were 5-1 vs their division, which is why they made the playoffs. They got destroyed by Baltimore in the first round.

The AFC South is truly the worst division in the NFL since the division realignment. It became a "wide open" division when the Colts declined but all it took was Indy to get their **** together and yet they still dominate that division. Even when Houston gets the division title, they still blow it in the playoffs and are no real threat to the Colts.

A team that goes 5-1 or 6-0 in their division and still at least is 12-4 or 13-3 and wins a playoff team, don't really benefit from a bad division.

However, teams that do go 10-6 or 11-5 thanks to a 5-1 or 6-0 record vs their division and then 5-5 the rest of the way through? Yep, those are the teams that do benefit from bad divisions (Green Bay in 2015 and 2016, K.C. in 3 of their last 4 playoff years). These are also the teams that put up embarrassing losses in the playoffs AT HOME.

I know we have a weak NFC South this year and I'm loving our dominance but I don't think we or the Patriots really benefit from it as much as people like to make that claim.


Dang Ching good investigating reporting. I was one that always hated the pats for there *****cat division


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
st thomas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:56 AM   #18
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 17,337
Re: 49ers are scary good

Modify the subject line and I’ll buy in,

49ers are scary good when playing against the Panthers.


I remember when Chicago’s defense was scary good.
Thirty3 likes this.
TheOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 12:37 PM   #19
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 12,354
Re: 49ers are scary good

Wins over the Buca, Bengals, Steelers, Browns, Skins. Combines record: 7-29
Notable wins: Panthers and Rams. Combines record:9-6.

They dominated the Panthers..it happens. They're decent, but I want to see a better body of work.

The Pat's are undefeated too. Go look who they played. Jets twice, dolphins, Skins, Steelers, Browns, Giants, and Bill's. One team with a winning record.

The combined record of our opponents is like 32-28-1. 4 teams with winning record, one 500, 3 with losing records.

Just my two cents
ScottF and dam1953 like this.
spkb25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 12:41 PM   #20
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 3,921
Re: 49ers are scary good

Originally Posted by spkb25 View Post
Wins over the Buca, Bengals, Steelers, Browns, Skins. Combines record: 7-29
Notable wins: Panthers and Rams. Combines record:9-6.

They dominated the Panthers..it happens. They're decent, but I want to see a better body of work.

The Pat's are undefeated too. Go look who they played. Jets twice, dolphins, Skins, Steelers, Browns, Giants, and Bill's. One team with a winning record.

Just my two cents
We are thinking alike, make that four cents...
spkb25 likes this.
dam1953 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2018 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts