Go Back   New Orleans Saints Forums - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

2022 New Orleans Saints: Roster Outlook

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by FinSaint Out of curiosity, who are the other two in your top 3 safeties in the league? (1) Marcus Williams, NO (2) Jessie Bates, CIN (3) Antoine Winfield, TB Titans Kevin Byard has been a solid pro ...

Like Tree83Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2022, 05:13 PM   #11
Site Donor 2018
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Thibodaux
Posts: 41,467
Blog Entries: 39
Re: 2022 New Orleans Saints: Roster Outlook

Originally Posted by FinSaint View Post
Out of curiosity, who are the other two in your top 3 safeties in the league?

(1) Marcus Williams, NO

(2) Jessie Bates, CIN

(3) Antoine Winfield, TB

Titans Kevin Byard has been a solid pro and had a good season as well...
Rugby Saint II likes this.
jeanpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 05:19 PM   #12
Site Donor 2015
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finland... formerly Southern Virginia
Posts: 4,821
Re: 2022 New Orleans Saints: Roster Outlook

Originally Posted by jeanpierre View Post
(1) Marcus Williams, NO



(2) Jessie Bates, CIN



(3) Antoine Winfield, TB



Titans Kevin Byard has been a solid pro and had a good season as well...
How about H. Smith, Simmons and Fitzpatrick?

I know it's all a matter of an opinion, but I'd never place M. Williams as the best safety in the league nor top 3.
jeanpierre likes this.
FinSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 05:38 PM   #13
Site Donor 2019
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 19,480
Blog Entries: 2
Re: 2022 New Orleans Saints: Roster Outlook

I don't think Marcus is in the top 3 either, however, I do think he's a very good free safety and worth signing to a long-term deal ... I think the Saints need to somehow, someway keep this defense intact. Collectively, they were that good.

IMO MW is the Jairus Byrd CSP wanted but never got in New Orleans.
K Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 05:56 PM   #14
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,289
Re: 2022 New Orleans Saints: Roster Outlook

Originally Posted by K Major View Post
I don't think Marcus is in the top 3 either, however, I do think he's a very good free safety and worth signing to a long-term deal ... I think the Saints need to somehow, someway keep this defense intact. Collectively, they were that good.

IMO MW is the Jairus Byrd CSP wanted but never got in New Orleans.
While I agree they did shine and carry the team letís not forget they had a few hiccups too. Phily ran for about 240 yards against us. D couldnít hold an 11 point 4th q lead against Giants. The first Atlanta game they had a letdown as well. Again, they were clearly the strength of the team. But hardly infallible.
Boston Saint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:05 PM   #15
Site Donor 2019
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 19,480
Blog Entries: 2
Re: 2022 New Orleans Saints: Roster Outlook

Originally Posted by Boston Saint View Post
While I agree they did shine and carry the team letís not forget they had a few hiccups too. Phily ran for about 240 yards against us. D couldnít hold an 11 point 4th q lead against Giants. The first Atlanta game they had a letdown as well. Again, they were clearly the strength of the team. But hardly infallible.
"If" Marcus goes elsewhere ... What is your plan B at FS?

There are probably some that feel that the Saints can "find" another safety equal to or even better range than MW. I'd ask ... who is that player?

Does he miss tackles or take an occasional bad angle on a play? Sure but they all do.

I wouldn't rule out a second tag for 2022. He's too talented to let go.
K Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:25 PM   #16
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 14,919
Re: 2022 New Orleans Saints: Roster Outlook

Originally Posted by K Major View Post
"If" Marcus goes elsewhere ... What is your plan B at FS?

There are probably some that feel that the Saints can "find" another safety equal to or even better range than MW. I'd ask ... who is that player?

Does he miss tackles or take an occasional bad angle on a play? Sure but they all do.

I wouldn't rule out a second tag for 2022. He's too talented to let go.
Absolutely agree!!!

The best in the game ever have missed tackles. It happens. Marcus Williams is narrow-mindedly judged on a single play, as a rookie, when he has demonstrated outstanding playmaking for rest of his short career to date. He's one of the best at his position in the game. Why take a step down when he can be be afforded?
AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:34 PM   #17
Site Donor 2019
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 19,480
Blog Entries: 2
Re: 2022 New Orleans Saints: Roster Outlook

IIRC, Jeff Duncan or maybe it was Sean Fazende stated that the Saints and Marcus were "close" to deal before they ran out of time (franchise tag) to sign him ... there was no way they were letting him hit the open market.

I tend to believe that getting a deal done with Marcus is a big-time priority for the Saints front office brass, this off-season.
AsylumGuido and jeanpierre like this.
K Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:46 PM   #18
Donated Plasma
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 17,850
Blog Entries: 5
Re: 2022 New Orleans Saints: Roster Outlook

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
Absolutely agree!!!

The best in the game ever have missed tackles. It happens. Marcus Williams is narrow-mindedly judged on a single play, as a rookie, when he has demonstrated outstanding playmaking for rest of his short career to date. He's one of the best at his position in the game. Why take a step down when he can be be afforded?
You don't have the right to call anyone narrow-minded little .

You are the most myopic human being here, in the event you didn't know...
saintfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:54 PM   #19
Site Donor 2018
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Thibodaux
Posts: 41,467
Blog Entries: 39
Re: 2022 New Orleans Saints: Roster Outlook

Originally Posted by FinSaint View Post
How about H. Smith, Simmons and Fitzpatrick?

I know it's all a matter of an opinion, but I'd never place M. Williams as the best safety in the league nor top 3.
There's no safety with Marcus Williams range and discipline. Fitzpatrick is probably the among the most physically talented, but very inconsistent, see MIA record...

Harrison Smith was an elite safety, but his play the last couple of seasons is a big reason why Mike Zimmer is now out of a job...

And Marcus Williams is every bit the safety and more as Justin Simmons, who I'd agree, is one of the better safeties and of note, has rec'd the franchise tag two years in row...
AsylumGuido and K Major like this.
jeanpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:57 PM   #20
Site Donor 2018
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Thibodaux
Posts: 41,467
Blog Entries: 39
Re: 2022 New Orleans Saints: Roster Outlook

Originally Posted by K Major View Post
I don't think Marcus is in the top 3 either, however, I do think he's a very good free safety and worth signing to a long-term deal ... I think the Saints need to somehow, someway keep this defense intact. Collectively, they were that good.

IMO MW is the Jairus Byrd CSP wanted but never got in New Orleans.
Strongly disagree about where Marcus Williams ranks, but you did hit a great point...

jeanpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:18 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2020 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts