Go Back   New Orleans Saints Forums - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Observations From the Saints' Loss to the Panthers

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; -Misses on Davenport, Turner, Penning and Ruiz has really hurt the team. A #1 has to have impact. -They counted on Winston to progress and be dynamic. He just isn't. -Dalton is a solid NFL backup. Not a starter on ...

Like Tree59Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2023, 09:32 AM   #21
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,111
Re: Observations From the Saints' Loss to the Panthers

-Misses on Davenport, Turner, Penning and Ruiz has really hurt the team. A #1 has to have impact.
-They counted on Winston to progress and be dynamic. He just isn't.
-Dalton is a solid NFL backup. Not a starter on a non-playoff team.
-Thomas and Peat do not deserve their salaries. Take the cap hit and move on.
-Give Lutz some competition next camp.
Draft a QB and play him.
-Find a pending RB to pair with Kamara.
-At the very least shake up the offensive staff.
Cruize is offline   Reply With Quote
Latest Blogs
Puck the Fro Browl! Last Blog: 02-05-2023 By: neugey




This is the year Last Blog: 11-25-2022 By: neugey


Old 01-09-2023, 11:02 AM   #22
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 10,138
Blog Entries: 3
Re: Observations From the Saints' Loss to the Panthers

Originally Posted by Cruize View Post
-Misses on Davenport, Turner, Penning and Ruiz has really hurt the team. A #1 has to have impact.
-They counted on Winston to progress and be dynamic. He just isn't.
-Dalton is a solid NFL backup. Not a starter on a non-playoff team.
-Thomas and Peat do not deserve their salaries. Take the cap hit and move on.
-Give Lutz some competition next camp.
Draft a QB and play him.
-Find a pending RB to pair with Kamara.
-At the very least shake up the offensive staff.
Penning, a "miss"???

Winston only needed to be the same, not better. Certainly not worse.

Agree on others
saintsfan1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 11:17 AM   #23
Site Donor 2019
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 21,616
Blog Entries: 3
Re: Observations From the Saints' Loss to the Panthers

Congrats to Chris Olave.

1k season as a rookie.
SaintFanQ, SmashMouth and cmike like this.
K Major is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 11:29 AM   #24
500th Post
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 669
Re: Observations From the Saints' Loss to the Panthers

Originally Posted by saintsfan1976 View Post
Penning, a "miss"???

Winston only needed to be the same, not better. Certainly not worse.

Agree on others
It seems like about half of first rounders miss. Thats football. But that is why you dont trade two first rounders for one and draft anraw prospect like Davenport who had proven neither ability nor durability against high level competition.

Penning is not neccessarily a miss yet but injury in first year makes him more likely to end up a miss. But in another sense we paid a lot in future picks to trade for a second first rounder in 2022 to ‘win now’ and we definitely missed on ‘winning now’ with Penning contributing nothing ‘now.’ We would have been much better off to skip the trade with Philly, and throw in an extra 4th rounder or something to trade up for Olave from 18 instead of 16, and still have a 1st rounder in 2023 and a 2nd rounder in 2024.

I think it would be the right thing to move on from Kamara just Like Carolina moved on from McCaffery. By the team we are ready to compete for a ring not just a token playoff appearance he will be too old. Unfortunately the looming suspension clouds his value. It may be best to trade him at the deadline after his suspension. To prepare for that it would be best to avoid restructuring his contract in a way that makes the cap hit to trade prohibitive.

We also need to realize that almost winning our division may not be a plus. We were 7-10 in a historically weak division. This is worse than being 7-10 in a strong division, because divisions do not tend to stay historically weak 2 years in a row. We might have been 6-11 or something in a better division. The way things work our division will likely get harder next year. The Falcons and Panthers will have lots of cap space and draft picks. They will improve at QB. It will still likely be a weak division but history says it will get harder, which does not favor the two older teams with no cap space.
BakoSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 11:59 AM   #25
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 2,484
Re: Observations From the Saints' Loss to the Panthers

So far Penning is a miss at LT, his run blocking is excellent but he is struggling big time with pass blocking. If he doesn't improve real quick he will need to be moved to guard.
MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 11:31 AM   #26
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 19,466
Re: Observations From the Saints' Loss to the Panthers

Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
So far Penning is a miss at LT, his run blocking is excellent but he is struggling big time with pass blocking. If he doesn't improve real quick he will need to be moved to guard.
A miss? He hasn't even had an opportunity to play. How can he be a miss? He was injured in the preseason. This past game was his only start of the season. Before that he only saw 66 offensive snaps all season with most of those coming a sixth "eligible receiver" lineman.
AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 12:22 PM   #27
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 2,484
Re: Observations From the Saints' Loss to the Panthers

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
A miss? He hasn't even had an opportunity to play. How can he be a miss? He was injured in the preseason. This past game was his only start of the season. Before that he only saw 66 offensive snaps all season with most of those coming a sixth "eligible receiver" lineman.
Before his injury in preseason, he did not effectively handle the pass rush, and keep in mind this was against reserves and guys who did not make final rosters. He hasn't shown in his limited action during the season that he is much better at it yet. During the Carolina game he got burned, it didn't happen more because Carolina wasn't all that aggressive and Dalton only threw 25 passes. With that said, he is a complete beast as a run blocker and looks to already be on an all pro level with that part of his game.
MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 12:35 PM   #28
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 19,466
Re: Observations From the Saints' Loss to the Panthers

Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
Before his injury in preseason, he did not effectively handle the pass rush, and keep in mind this was against reserves and guys who did not make final rosters. He hasn't shown in his limited action during the season that he is much better at it yet. During the Carolina game he got burned, it didn't happen more because Carolina wasn't all that aggressive and Dalton only threw 25 passes. With that said, he is a complete beast as a run blocker and looks to already be on an all pro level with that part of his game.
Once again, virtually all of his action during the season was in heavy sets (six man lines) on running situations. He was never in any standard pass protection assignments at all. As for preseason, it is nothing more than glorified practice sessions learning the "new to them" pass blocking schemes. Mistakes are to be expected.

I wouldn't expect a seasoned coaching professional to make ironclad evaluations from the sideline on a rookie's abilities based upon that tiny sample size, not to mention a fan sitting at home watching a handful of plays on his or her television set making the same attempt.

I really love peace and quiet. - Barry Sanders
AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 01:10 PM   #29
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 2,484
Re: Observations From the Saints' Loss to the Panthers

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
Once again, virtually all of his action during the season was in heavy sets (six man lines) on running situations. He was never in any standard pass protection assignments at all. As for preseason, it is nothing more than glorified practice sessions learning the "new to them" pass blocking schemes. Mistakes are to be expected.

I wouldn't expect a seasoned coaching professional to make ironclad evaluations from the sideline on a rookie's abilities based upon that tiny sample size, not to mention a fan sitting at home watching a handful of plays on his or her television set making the same attempt.
I've shared my opinion a few times about him, nothing has changed so far. There is an expectation as a high round pick to be something more than what he has shown. He doesn't look quite as bad as Peat did when they drafted him to be a right tackle, but it's pretty close. Additionally, if you dig around at different scouting report sources, many had concerns about his pass blocking, it is seriously not me just watching this crap on TV.
MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 01:20 PM   #30
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 18,868
Re: Observations From the Saints' Loss to the Panthers

Originally Posted by K Major View Post
No offense but what are y’all expecting to see with “one more year” in Allen??

The man doesn’t have a clue as Head Coach.
Go back and watch the presser when he took took the position. He was asked something along the lines of how long has he waited or thought about being a head coach again.

He replied that he doesn't think about the future. This is why he will never be a successful head coach in the NFL.

What I am seeing is that there is a premise that he is either a new head coach or new to the organization. Typically people new to an organization take the first year to asses what they have before they start making changes which is why they get a second year to implement. Dennis Allen is not a new HC nor is he new to the Saints so he just pissed away his rebuild year.
Sinner and K Major like this.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. ~ Henry David Thoreau
TheOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2020 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts