Go Back   New Orleans Saints Forums - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

2019 Saints NFL Free Agency

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by jeanpierre Peat played ten days after having pins put in his hand!!! Mr. Glass hasn't played but a half season each year since he signed to the Big Mo... But Cousin Sean addressed your comment today... https://twitter.com/SeanFazendeFOX8/...79162780917761 ...

Like Tree478Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2019, 09:01 PM   #261
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 9,083
Blog Entries: 3
Re: 2019 Saints NFL Free Agency

Originally Posted by jeanpierre View Post
Peat played ten days after having pins put in his hand!!! Mr. Glass hasn't played but a half season each year since he signed to the Big Mo...

But Cousin Sean addressed your comment today...



https://twitter.com/SeanFazendeFOX8/...79162780917761
But they were small pins...

Let's not compare Armstead to Peat. TA is much better at his position than Peat is. Agree with Sean we have Clapp. Let's move him for another pick!

AND... If we're really looking for cap space, can't we start with Mr Brees???
saintsfan1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:26 PM   #262
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 9,083
Blog Entries: 3
Re: 2019 Saints NFL Free Agency

Originally Posted by K Major View Post
The Saints have roughly 12 mil. (per over the cap) in cap space right now and once the new league year starts the new cap adjustments will kick in and they will have more cap space.

DT
TE
OL (depth)
Safety

Question marks .. CB (PJ Williams), PRob is a year older coming off injury, WR (Dez, Meredith, Tre), Davison and Andrus Peat (reasonable contract).

Draft the BPA with the 2nd round pick.
I think DT is paramount.

TE is more of a game plan position now instead of having a guy like Graham. Let's be honest, Kamara is the playmaker.

OL depth, yes. Another Strief type guy can be had later in the draft.

Vonn Bell is our SS of the future. Check out PFF quote: Pro Football Focus (PFF) graded Bell's run defense at 88.2, third among all NFL safeties in 2018. His coverage skills have improved greatly over each season however.
Bell's overall grade from PFF was 75.3, 27th out of 101 defensive backs at the position. The 24-yr. old safety played better in coverage as this season progressed as well, often capably taking on an opposing tight end or even wideout out of the slot


I would add WR, LB depth (maybe starter over Klein) don't see solid LB options this year in our range.
jeanpierre likes this.

saintsfan1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:53 PM   #263
Site Donor 2018
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Thibodaux
Posts: 34,626
Blog Entries: 37
Re: 2019 Saints NFL Free Agency

Originally Posted by saintsfan1976 View Post
I think DT is paramount.

TE is more of a game plan position now instead of having a guy like Graham. Let's be honest, Kamara is the playmaker.

OL depth, yes. Another Strief type guy can be had later in the draft.

Vonn Bell is our SS of the future. Check out PFF quote: Pro Football Focus (PFF) graded Bell's run defense at 88.2, third among all NFL safeties in 2018. His coverage skills have improved greatly over each season however.
Bell's overall grade from PFF was 75.3, 27th out of 101 defensive backs at the position. The 24-yr. old safety played better in coverage as this season progressed as well, often capably taking on an opposing tight end or even wideout out of the slot


I would add WR, LB depth (maybe starter over Klein) don't see solid LB options this year in our range.
Don't get the wanting to upgrade/replace Klein - this reminds me of the criticism towards Shanle who many here regret criticizing during those lean LBing years just a couple of seasons back...

A.J. can play MIKE well, not great, but well. And he had some terrific games last year at SAM (e.g. Dallas game). Further, we're in Nickel, Heavy Nickel, or Dime more than 50% of the time...

We're fine with Klein (yeah, I just did that); we need to worry about not having but one DT, just one, UNO DT under contract able to play the first four games of the upcoming season...
CheramieIII likes this.

It's not that my way is the right way, I just make the right way my way...
jeanpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 07:17 AM   #264
Site Donor 2019
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 16,364
Blog Entries: 1
Re: 2019 Saints NFL Free Agency

Originally Posted by saintsfan1976 View Post
I think DT is paramount.
Agreed.

Rankins will be out for a while, Davidson is probably going to look for a bigger payday (and he should) & 80 grams is facing a suspension. It's his 1st offense but you just never know with Goddell. Stallworth played well as a rookie but inexperienced.

DT spot is super thin & the season is long.
MarchingOn likes this.
K Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 07:51 AM   #265
Site Donor 2019
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 16,364
Blog Entries: 1
Re: 2019 Saints NFL Free Agency

Originally Posted by jeanpierre View Post
A.J. can play MIKE well, not great, but well. And he had some terrific games last year at SAM (e.g. Dallas game). Further, we're in Nickel, Heavy Nickel, or Dime more than 50% of the time...

We're fine with Klein (yeah, I just did that); we need to worry about not having but one DT, just one, UNO DT under contract able to play the first four games of the upcoming season...[/B]
Klein was decent in 2018. Decent. Still nothing wrong with bringing in one more young, solid linebacker. Craig is 30 & Te'o is a Free Agent so no guarantees there.

I'd rank LB at #4 on need. IMO this is Klein's final season (expiring contract) in NO.

Saints need to take the Patriots approach and always look to upgrade in the off season.
K Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:01 AM   #266
Site Donor 2018
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Thibodaux
Posts: 34,626
Blog Entries: 37
Re: 2019 Saints NFL Free Agency

Interesting discussion about the nickel - good argument made to let a soon-to-be 32yo P-Rob geaux for the 26yo Honey Badger...

Mathieu could play safety and nickel and would give better value for that salary slot...



Saints Talk with Nick Underhill and...
K Major likes this.
jeanpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:07 AM   #267
Site Donor 2018
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Thibodaux
Posts: 34,626
Blog Entries: 37
Re: 2019 Saints NFL Free Agency

Originally Posted by K Major View Post
Klein was decent in 2018. Decent. Still nothing wrong with bringing in one more young, solid linebacker. Craig is 30 & Te'o is a Free Agent so no guarantees there.

I'd rank LB at #4 on need. IMO this is Klein's final season (expiring contract) in NO.

Saints need to take the Patriots approach and always look to upgrade in the off season.
https://grades.profootballfocus.com/...itions/show/LB

Klein was graded comparably to Anthony Barr, Myles Jack; factor in for what we're paying, it's a no-brainer to keep him around...

Also a re-visit of how terrible the selection of Rick Leonard in the fourth round was last year and how we'll be paying for it...

Last edited by jeanpierre; 02-27-2019 at 08:23 AM..
jeanpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:39 AM   #268
Site Donor 2019
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 16,364
Blog Entries: 1
Re: 2019 Saints NFL Free Agency

Originally Posted by jeanpierre View Post
https://grades.profootballfocus.com/...itions/show/LB

Klein was graded comparably to Anthony Barr, Myles Jack; factor in for what we're paying, it's a no-brainer to keep him around...

Also a re-visit of how terrible the selection of Rick Leonard in the fourth round was last year and how we'll be paying for it...
FWIW, I never take PFF as the gospel for player evaluation.

There are many Head coaches (Zimmer & Bellichick) who question the validity of their data. It is what it is.

As for the past draft, I simply can't question what the Saints front office (Ireland, SP & his staff) do with their draft picks ... especially after evaluating the last 3 years of players/studs we've acquired.
K Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:43 AM   #269
Site Donor 2019
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 16,364
Blog Entries: 1
Re: 2019 Saints NFL Free Agency

Originally Posted by jeanpierre View Post
Interesting discussion about the nickel - good argument made to let a soon-to-be 32yo P-Rob geaux for the 26yo Honey Badger...

Mathieu could play safety and nickel and would give better value for that salary slot...



Saints Talk with Nick Underhill and...
Wow ... the Peat "trade talk" is gaining some momentum. I guess Bobby Hebert was on to something when there were rumors that we were trying to package Peat & another player in exchange for Patrick Peterson.

It will be interesting to see what happens next month when FA begins.
K Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:54 AM   #270
Site Donor 2018
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Thibodaux
Posts: 34,626
Blog Entries: 37
Re: 2019 Saints NFL Free Agency

Originally Posted by K Major View Post
FWIW, I never take PFF as the gospel for player evaluation.

There are many Head coaches (Zimmer & Bellichick) who question the validity of their data. It is what it is.

As for the past draft, I simply can't question what the Saints front office (Ireland, SP & his staff) do with their draft picks ... especially after evaluating the last 3 years of players/studs we've acquired.
There's a total body of work since 2006 that is very inconsistent. Some considered 2006 to be one of the best drafts ever - netting a Loomis an Executive of the Year Award...

But all 32 teams passed on Marques Colston for the better part of seven rounds, including Loomis - the real valued pick of that draft was Jahri Evans in the fourth; even 7th rd Strief took four seasons to develop...

Real problem I have is what we're seeing now - a great many deal of rookie contracts coming to maturation and we're not bringing affordable drafted talent to make the salary schedule manageable, flexible...

You just can't keep spending two-for-one on draft picks and stay competitive consistently - New England Patriots are the model for good cap management and willingness to draft players and trust them on the field...

Payton/Loomis continue stubbornly to avoid investing heavily (more picks) in the draft and rely too much on free agency and care-free spending of draft capital...

No, Payton and Loomis don't get a pass with me, nor should they with anyone, when it comes to bad personnel free agency choices and poor draft management handicapping this Brees-era from Championships...

Payton/Loomis brought in Ireland and they should let him do his job and their job should be to get out of the way and focus on their jobs - coaching, managing game plans and managing the salary caps.

In so far as PFF, I don't consider it an absolute, but a relative tool for evaluating discussing talent, but for what is spent on a Sam/Mike Linebacker, he's one of the great values Payton/Loomis got right...

Respect you don't like Klein, and that's okay - we're just not going to have elite talent at every position and I'll take Klein above average talent at a two-down linebacking spot for, say, an elite CB, DE...
K Major likes this.

It's not that my way is the right way, I just make the right way my way...

Last edited by jeanpierre; 02-27-2019 at 09:30 AM..
jeanpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://blackandgold.com/saints/92305-2019-saints-nfl-free-agency.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
2019 Saints NFL Free Agency This thread Refback 01-26-2019 10:16 AM 3


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2020 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts