Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Pelicans

Clippers Owner Banned 4 Life

this is a discussion within the Pelicans Community Forum; Donald Sterling had similar legal battle with mistress in 2002 | Mail Online Here is one of the articles from the daily mail. daily mail .com The rest are there....

Like Tree35Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2014, 09:16 PM   #41
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,864
Re: Clippers Owner Banned 4 Life

Donald Sterling had similar legal battle with mistress in 2002 | Mail Online

Here is one of the articles from the daily mail. daily mail .com
The rest are there.
OldMaid is offline  
Old 05-13-2014, 08:25 AM   #42
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 16,193
Re: Clippers Owner Banned 4 Life

Originally Posted by SaintLeonard View Post
Hold up.. Kanye can explain this one.
But which one is the Golddigger? LOL The old bag standing by him or the young hottie being with him? They are both there for 1 thing.
TheOak is offline  
Old 05-18-2014, 04:49 AM   #43
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,593
Re: Clippers Owner Banned 4 Life

I don't see how the NBA can force him to sell the team legally. And I personally don't think he's racist. He's an elitest and thinks he's above everybody. Not just African Americans. A racist wouldn't pay Doc Rivers, who's married to a white woman, $7mil to coach his team.
Cruize is offline  
Old 05-27-2014, 09:21 AM   #44
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 16,193
Re: Clippers Owner Banned 4 Life

Originally Posted by Cruize View Post
I don't see how the NBA can force him to sell the team legally. And I personally don't think he's racist. He's an elitest and thinks he's above everybody. Not just African Americans. A racist wouldn't pay Doc Rivers, who's married to a white woman, $7mil to coach his team.
I'll go a little more than just elitist... His birth name is Donald Tokowitz, only vanity would make a person change their Sir Name to gain favor. Id pretty much file him under the category of narcissist.

Exile and I have gone round and round about this. The catch to understanding the legality of it, is perception.

This is not a company he built from the ground up, he doesn't own the IP, or the team name, colors, etc... That is all owned by the NBA and licensed by Donald Sterling or what ever corporation he set up to do the licensing from the NBA.

Donald Sterling is not the sole owner, of the one team yes (even not that but for the sake of argument) but that one team is only a small part of what is the NBA. Its a partnership, and this should be something that people keep in mind when going into a partnership. Before Donald Sterling was allowed to own or lease anything he had to agree to the terms and conditions of the contract that governed that partnership. Unless written by someone very inexperienced, which you can bet these are not, there are clauses that govern conduct (to protect the partnership) along with everything else. If those terms are violated, the lease/licensing/franchise agreement can be terminated with a majority percentage/number vote from the rest of the partners

As I said to Exile, they aren't forcing him to sell; they are forcing him to want to sell. The Clippers go from its present value to $0 (with the exception of hard asset depreciated resell value) if his franchise is revoked. He doesn't want to lose everything so his only other option is to sell it and recoup what he can. The alternative is that he refuses to sell it, the NBA revokes his charter, all of the players contracts are void (just like the NFL those contracts are with the league and have league approval), leaving him with any buildings, buses, cars, merchandise that has the Clippers name on it making it unsaleable until he removes the name which is owned by the league or he pays the league a royalty. The league doesn't want to lose a team and he doesn't want to lose hundreds of millions.

Notice the careful wording in this article. (it is not mere semantics)
Sterling, 80, has owned the Clippers for 33 years, making him the NBA’s longest-tenured owner. On Monday the league filed an official termination charge against Sterling, setting in motion an official vote amongst the league’s owners. The NBA is, for the moment, content to continue that course.

“We continue to follow the process set forth in the NBA Constitution regarding termination of the current ownership interests in the Los Angeles Clippers and are proceeding toward a hearing on this matter on June 3,” said NBA spokesman Mike Bass.


Termination Charge - is to terminate his rights to protected intellectual property. This is where the league has the leverage to force him to want to sell.

Ownership interest - That tells you right there that he isn't the sole owner of the Clippers. The League owns the important parts, like the name.
Reports: Clippers owner Donald Sterling allowing wife to negotiate sale of*team | The Point Forward - SI.com

If you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.

Like and vote https://www.facebook.com/pages/Charl...44287815781246

Last edited by TheOak; 05-27-2014 at 09:24 AM..
TheOak is offline  
Old 05-27-2014, 10:28 AM   #45
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: D'iberville, MS
Posts: 1,826
Re: Clippers Owner Banned 4 Life

Originally Posted by TheOak View Post
I'll go a little more than just elitist... His birth name is Donald Tokowitz, only vanity would make a person change their Sir Name to gain favor. Id pretty much file him under the category of narcissist.

Exile and I have gone round and round about this. The catch to understanding the legality of it, is perception.

This is not a company he built from the ground up, he doesn't own the IP, or the team name, colors, etc... That is all owned by the NBA and licensed by Donald Sterling or what ever corporation he set up to do the licensing from the NBA.

Donald Sterling is not the sole owner, of the one team yes (even not that but for the sake of argument) but that one team is only a small part of what is the NBA. Its a partnership, and this should be something that people keep in mind when going into a partnership. Before Donald Sterling was allowed to own or lease anything he had to agree to the terms and conditions of the contract that governed that partnership. Unless written by someone very inexperienced, which you can bet these are not, there are clauses that govern conduct (to protect the partnership) along with everything else. If those terms are violated, the lease/licensing/franchise agreement can be terminated with a majority percentage/number vote from the rest of the partners

As I said to Exile, they aren't forcing him to sell; they are forcing him to want to sell. The Clippers go from its present value to $0 (with the exception of hard asset depreciated resell value) if his franchise is revoked. He doesn't want to lose everything so his only other option is to sell it and recoup what he can. The alternative is that he refuses to sell it, the NBA revokes his charter, all of the players contracts are void (just like the NFL those contracts are with the league and have league approval), leaving him with any buildings, buses, cars, merchandise that has the Clippers name on it making it unsaleable until he removes the name which is owned by the league or he pays the league a royalty. The league doesn't want to lose a team and he doesn't want to lose hundreds of millions.

Notice the careful wording in this article. (it is not mere semantics)
Sterling, 80, has owned the Clippers for 33 years, making him the NBA’s longest-tenured owner. On Monday the league filed an official termination charge against Sterling, setting in motion an official vote amongst the league’s owners. The NBA is, for the moment, content to continue that course.

“We continue to follow the process set forth in the NBA Constitution regarding termination of the current ownership interests in the Los Angeles Clippers and are proceeding toward a hearing on this matter on June 3,” said NBA spokesman Mike Bass.


Termination Charge - is to terminate his rights to protected intellectual property. This is where the league has the leverage to force him to want to sell.

Ownership interest - That tells you right there that he isn't the sole owner of the Clippers. The League owns the important parts, like the name.
Reports: Clippers owner Donald Sterling allowing wife to negotiate sale of*team | The Point Forward - SI.com
What do you do for a living Oak? What exactly aren't you at least mildly knowledgeable of? Damn it man. How can someone argue against that ****?
rezburna is offline  
Old 05-27-2014, 10:42 AM   #46
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 11,934
Blog Entries: 44
Re: Clippers Owner Banned 4 Life

NOOOOOOOO!!!!
The existence of Jerry Jones guarantees there are only 15 teams in the NFC worth worrying about rather than 16.... err 14 minus the failclowns.... but I digress.
Originally Posted by TheOak View Post
Danno, SmashMouth, exile and 1 others like this.
Halo is offline  
Old 05-27-2014, 02:39 PM   #47
Cake or Death?
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,484
Re: Clippers Owner Banned 4 Life

Originally Posted by TheOak View Post
Exile and I have gone round and round about this.

TheOak likes this.
exile is offline  
Old 05-28-2014, 10:16 AM   #48
Cake or Death?
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,484
Re: Clippers Owner Banned 4 Life

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...005021843.html

Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling has finally responded to the NBA’s May 27 deadline in a bid to save his ownership of his basketball team. Sterling had until Tuesday to protest the league's charge in advance of a June 3 hearing in which the NBA's other 29 owners will vote whether to force Sterling to sell his team, using bylaws in the NBA’s constitution that Sterling has agreed to for years.

As most pointed out when Adam Silver banned Sterling from the NBA, the commissioner’s decision – while just – was far from a knockout punch. Now a frustrated league and its weary fans are wondering if we’re even out of the first round of this fight.


One thing I learned from drinking. You should always go Christmas caroling with a group. Oh, and always in mid-December.
exile is offline  
Old 05-28-2014, 02:26 PM   #49
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 16,193
Re: Clippers Owner Banned 4 Life

Originally Posted by rezburna View Post
What do you do for a living Oak? What exactly aren't you at least mildly knowledgeable of? Damn it man. How can someone argue against that ****?
I hoard frames of reference. When that fails, magic 8 ball.
exile likes this.
TheOak is offline  
Old 05-31-2014, 11:32 AM   #50
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Woodlands
Posts: 17,737
Blog Entries: 27
Re: Clippers Owner Banned 4 Life

Attorney says Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling is suing NBA for $1 billion - ESPN Los Angeles

K Major likes this.
SmashMouth is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts