Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

COLTS D isn't like the Vikes D.

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Yes we have a good def. BUT so do the Dolts. They are FAST, not just one or two but several of them are FAST - they also have a better seocndary then the Viks. Now that said we may ...

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 09:22 PM   #51
In Doh We Trust
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 5,969
Blog Entries: 16
Re: COLTS D isn't like the Vikes D.

Yes we have a good def.

BUT so do the Dolts. They are FAST, not just one or two but several of them are FAST - they also have a better seocndary then the Viks.

Now that said we may not have a Revis Island - BUT our healthy secondary is better than the Jets!!

It is going to be an intereting game.
homerj07 is offline  
Latest Blogs


Saints: A glimpse of the future Last Blog: 11-19-2014 By: lee909


What i tell you ! !! ! Last Blog: 11-02-2014 By: SAINTstunna


Old 01-26-2010, 03:23 AM   #52
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,545
Re: COLTS D isn't like the Vikes D.

Revis Isle was only a sand spit when they played the Dolts.

Choupique is offline  
Old 01-26-2010, 03:58 AM   #53
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Canton, Ohio
Posts: 2,683
Blog Entries: 2
Re: COLTS D isn't like the Vikes D.

there is one thing that the colts are better at than the vikings were.....in fact.....its the only thing the colts are good at.....passing the ball

peyton manning is great....but he is not a team

in 2 weeks we will be going up against the best DE tandum in the entire NFL....however, we are also going up against the smallest defensive line in the NFL...that doesnt bode well against our 2 stud guards and our 3 pro bowl offensive linemen

the colts are great...but they have yet to play a team that is as deadly on offense as us.....they played the jets and ravens....2 great defenses and 2 great running offense....but very little threat in the passin game

you remember who covered reggie wayne? well our DB is second in the league in allowing the least amount of catches per times targeted.....right behind that same DB that shut down reggie wayne

the cardinals fans thought we played dirty.....we didnt

the vikings fans thought we played dirty.....we didnt

i know for a fact that after the super bowl all the colts fans are going to be cryin about how dirty our defense is.....and im going to smile and agree

the colts cant and wont run the ball....peyton manning is the colts offense and their defense while underrated is still no match for our #1 ranked offense

everybody keeps talking about how our defense will match up against their offense.....why is that always the case? why doesnt anybody worry about our offense against their defense? despite dominating the league in nearly every offensive category, our offense is underrated

oh and that underrated defense of yours......you are preaching to the choir son......our defense feels the same way

colts average 26 ppg.....saints average 32 ppg

my prediction: 32-26

SAINTS

fwiw.....the vikings averaged 29 ppg.....scored 28 against us.....we scored 31

"deal with it or you can go play the saints and get trounced by 30 and you won't have to worry about it."-colin cowherd
CantonLegend is offline  
Old 01-26-2010, 07:37 AM   #54
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Woodlands
Posts: 17,737
Blog Entries: 27
Re: COLTS D isn't like the Vikes D.

Originally Posted by indy4192 View Post
We put 30 up on the No. 1 ranked D, so you gotta figure your O is going to have to put up at least 38-45 to have a shot at winning....
The same could be said of Indy's shot at winning. The only difference, we've been putting up Forty Burgers quite a few times this year. So it's not like we haven't done it yet. In fact we've done it 5 times with other times we could have done it but we let off the gas. Whereas the Colts only did it against the Rams and never really came close in any other game.... and that was against supposed lesser defenses.

Look ... it's going to be a great game. I personally can't pick a winner in this one. However, I do think if we continue to ball-hawk and our O does it's average points per game, we win.

Said Pope Benedict: "WOW ... that ring is bigger than mine!!!"

SmashMouth is offline  
Old 01-26-2010, 10:02 AM   #55
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 55
Re: COLTS D isn't like the Vikes D.

Originally Posted by CantonLegend View Post
there is one thing that the colts are better at than the vikings were.....in fact.....its the only thing the colts are good at.....passing the ball

peyton manning is great....but he is not a team
Damn. I was under the impression we were somewhat good. How the hell have we won 16 games and made it to the Super Bowl? Oh well. Our fluke season is your benefit.

Last edited by braggbro1; 01-26-2010 at 10:04 AM..
braggbro1 is offline  
Old 01-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #56
xan
Professor Crab and
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Princeton
Posts: 3,067
Blog Entries: 27
Re: COLTS D isn't like the Vikes D.

If you look at the skills of our team, it is clear that the front office collected players specifically to confront the Colts in the Super Bowl.

On offense:
  • Balanced offense to counter overloading and bullrushing D-Line.
  • Fast WR's/3WR sets to counter cover 2 schemes
  • Big TE's to give help on the edge blocking and to take the blows in crossing patterns in the middle of the field.
  • Running back by committee to ensure fresh legs.

On defense:
  • Adequate run stopping but emphasis on tracking down/pressure the QB
  • Shut down corners to allow sophisticated blitz packages without unnecessary exposure at the back end.
  • Freelancing safeties to be opportunistic and ball hawking
  • LB's who are capable in coverage but quick to close in open field tackle situations.

This isn't to say that our roster has no weaknesses. But it is definitely an attempt to answer the problems posed by the Colts.

Calvin: "I wish I was a Tiger."
Hobbes: "Common lament."
xan is offline  
Old 01-26-2010, 10:28 AM   #57
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 55
Re: COLTS D isn't like the Vikes D.

Originally Posted by xan View Post
If you look at the skills of our team, it is clear that the front office collected players specifically to confront the Colts in the Super Bowl.

On offense:
  • Balanced offense to counter overloading and bullrushing D-Line.
  • Fast WR's/3WR sets to counter cover 2 schemes
  • Big TE's to give help on the edge blocking and to take the blows in crossing patterns in the middle of the field.
  • Running back by committee to ensure fresh legs.

On defense:
  • Adequate run stopping but emphasis on tracking down/pressure the QB
  • Shut down corners to allow sophisticated blitz packages without unnecessary exposure at the back end.
  • Freelancing safeties to be opportunistic and ball hawking
  • LB's who are capable in coverage but quick to close in open field tackle situations.

This isn't to say that our roster has no weaknesses. But it is definitely an attempt to answer the problems posed by the Colts.

Let me get this. The Saints had never been to the Super Bowl before now, yet you're convinced they were building their team specifically to match up for a potential Super Bowl matchup with the Colts who had only been there once before themselves since moving to Indy. LOL.

Everything on your list is something any team would want to play against anyone, not just a team with the Colts attributes. I would say there's at least a few things there that are embellished, to say the least. I would not say you have shutdown corners. Greg Williams used to be a defensive coordinator in our division. His blitz packages aren't anything unique or more "sophisticated" than you see in many other NFL defenses.
braggbro1 is offline  
Old 01-26-2010, 10:33 AM   #58
100th Post
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 144
Re: COLTS D isn't like the Vikes D.

Originally Posted by CantonLegend View Post
everybody keeps talking about how our defense will match up against their offense.....why is that always the case? why doesnt anybody worry about our offense against their defense? despite dominating the league in nearly every offensive category, our offense is underrated
Same question I keep asking!
savoyk is offline  
Old 01-26-2010, 10:41 AM   #59
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Canton, Ohio
Posts: 2,683
Blog Entries: 2
Re: COLTS D isn't like the Vikes D.

Originally Posted by braggbro1 View Post
Damn. I was under the impression we were somewhat good. How the hell have we won 16 games and made it to the Super Bowl? Oh well. Our fluke season is your benefit.
listen.....im not taking credit away from the guy.....but you guys win because peyton manning is so good.....there isnt another reason you guys have won a single game this season....you guys win on the shoulders of peyton manning because he is arguably the best QB ever....i think its too easy to call him the best but he is definitly up there

your season was no fluke....the colts have been doing the same thing for the past decade.....peyton is a stud and the offensive line keeps him upright so it fits right into his strength

Originally Posted by braggbro1 View Post
Let me get this. The Saints had never been to the Super Bowl before now, yet you're convinced they were building their team specifically to match up for a potential Super Bowl matchup with the Colts who had only been there once before themselves since moving to Indy. LOL.
we werent buildin a team to match the colts....it just turned out that way

our running game will control the clock which is a surprise this season.....our defense is allows the least passin TDs in the redzone than any other team in the league

I would not say you have shutdown corners.
NFL Blog: Shutdown Corner - Yahoo! Sports Blogs

Cornerback Jabari Greer(notes): In weeks 1 through 9 of the 2009 season, the Saints ranked third in Football Outsiders' DVOA rankings against the pass. In weeks 10 through 17, they plummeted to 20th. It's no coincidence that Greer, the former Buffalo cornerback signed by the Saints as a free agent in the offseason, missed weeks 10 through 16 with a groin injury after playing spectacularly in the season's first half. Some cornerbacks struggle with man coverage fater playing a lot of zone in prior seasons -- the Saints found this out the hard way when they signed ex-Colt Jason David(notes) after the 2006 season, a disastrous move for all involved. Greer has been just the opposite, ranking second behind only Darrelle Revis(notes) in FO's metrics for NFL cornerbacks (albeit in half a season). Greer will be targeted heavily, as he'll most likely draw the unenviable assignment of covering Reggie Wayne(notes) in the Super Bowl.

"deal with it or you can go play the saints and get trounced by 30 and you won't have to worry about it."-colin cowherd
CantonLegend is offline  
Old 01-26-2010, 10:45 AM   #60
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: "Little Ole Town in Tejas"
Posts: 7,770
Re: COLTS D isn't like the Vikes D.

Originally Posted by savoyk View Post
Same question I keep asking!
http://blackandgold.com/saints/24240-keys-victory.html (Keys to Victory)
i did..read it here
strato is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts