Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

Seriously I am ready to boycott the Saints until somone is fired

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by Danno Its Morstead, a Punter. Correct. A punter wouldn't have been worth those draft picks, but he is a Punter! I'm glad you are finally coming around....

Like Tree20Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2011, 12:24 AM   #41
Logic Troll
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Southern Louisiana
Posts: 558
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Its Morstead, a Punter.
Correct. A punter wouldn't have been worth those draft picks, but he is a Punter! I'm glad you are finally coming around.
Memnoch_TP is offline  
Latest Blogs
2015 Saints Bye Week Draft Last Blog: 10-16-2014 By: hagan714


"IRONY" Last Blog: 10-01-2014 By: teddybarexxx


Sainity Zone 9-30-14 Hail Last Blog: 09-30-2014 By: xan


Old 08-28-2011, 07:44 AM   #42
I donate wisdom
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finland... formerly Southern Virginia
Posts: 3,934
Originally Posted by Memnoch_TP View Post
Correct. A punter wouldn't have been worth those draft picks, but he is a Punter! I'm glad you are finally coming around.

I think that it's all relative, and come on man - it was a 5th round draft pick. Other than Jenkins... would you say that the two 4th round picks before him have made a bigger contribution to the Saints' success since the draft: Chip Vaughn and Stanley Arnoux.

Personally I would say that Morstead has been a key contributor to what the Saints have done in the kicking game during the last couple of seasons, and I would definitely say that the 5th round pick was very deservedly used on him.

As for the trade up... NYG picked Stoney Woodson with the Saints' 7th in '09 and Mick Petrus in '10 with the 5th. I haven't heard neither one of them making headlines lately, have you? Naturally the Saints could've made better choices with those picks, but that is not guaranteed as just the 4th round pick of Chip Vaughn in the '09 draft proves.

If not for McBride of the Cowgirls, Morstead would already be a perennial pro bowl punter, so show some love for the kickers too... they're key parts of the whole as well.
strato likes this.

"I don't think I'll be thinking at all. I think I'm just gonna go out there and play my balls out" - Martez Wilson | "I'm not bashing people, I'm bashing their opinions because in my opinion their opinion is wrong" - Danno
FinSaint is online now  
Old 08-28-2011, 08:10 AM   #43
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 16,447
Originally Posted by FinSaint View Post
Naturally the Saints could've made better choices with those picks,
Yep, it was 2 picks in a 4 pick draft, no other team has ever done that to my knowlege.

He's a punter, and its the most insignificant position on a football team.
Danno is online now  
Old 08-28-2011, 08:41 AM   #44
Logic Troll
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Southern Louisiana
Posts: 558
I think the Punter was much more significant than the backup QB has been, considering the Punter has actually been on the field contributing to the team while the backup QB has been standing around holding a clipboard.

And please, don't give me a weak "Well he coulda' been more important in a what-if scenario that didn't happen." argument.
Memnoch_TP is offline  
Old 08-28-2011, 08:45 AM   #45
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 16,447
Originally Posted by Memnoch_TP View Post
I think the Punter was much more significant than the backup QB has been, considering the Punter has actually been on the field contributing to the team while the backup QB has been standing around holding a clipboard.

And please, don't give me a weak "Well he coulda' been more important in a what-if scenario that didn't happen." argument.
I don't need to do that. He's a punter, we gave up two picks for the least important "position" on the team. End of discussion.

But I got plenty more if you want to go at it again, and again, and again.
Danno is online now  
Old 08-28-2011, 09:30 AM   #46
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,889
Originally Posted by Memnoch_TP View Post
My argument = "Here are the facts and this is my opinion on them"

Your argument = "Sean Payton should be fired as the Head Coach of the Saints because he wasn't/isn't as good a player as Drew Brees, so he should have no comment on how Drew plays football."
What on God's green earth are you talking about? Where did I say anything about Payton being fired? In fact, I said the exact opposite: nobody needs to be fired because of an injury. That was my point, then you came busting in saying that I am some sort of sunshiner who is never critical of players... which is not only incorrect, but way out of left field. Which leads me back to my question: what are you talking about?
TheDeuce is offline  
Old 08-28-2011, 10:29 AM   #47
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,846
Originally Posted by strato View Post
All teams are suffering with the same thing...lockout
good point.missed real trainings by the trainers and coaching staff even if the guys did their training/conditioning thing.
OldMaid is offline  
Old 08-28-2011, 11:19 AM   #48
I donate wisdom
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Finland... formerly Southern Virginia
Posts: 3,934
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
I don't need to do that. He's a punter, we gave up two picks for the least important "position" on the team. End of discussion.

But I got plenty more if you want to go at it again, and again, and again.

So, would you be willing to trade Morstead for Stoney Woodson and Mick Petrus 'cos who knows maybe those would've been the picks that the Saints would also have made?

Oh, and if you're saying that the punter is the least important player on the roster... what does that mean for the long snapper?
FinSaint is online now  
Old 08-28-2011, 11:31 AM   #49
Site Donor
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 11,193
Blog Entries: 5
As for me I think special teams, to include punting, are amazingly underrated.
jnormand and Rugby Saint II like this.
saintfan is offline  
Old 08-28-2011, 01:18 PM   #50
Site Donor 2014
Truth Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Spanish Fort Alabama
Posts: 16,447
Originally Posted by FinSaint View Post
So, would you be willing to trade Morstead for Stoney Woodson and Mick Petrus 'cos who knows maybe those would've been the picks that the Saints would also have made?

Oh, and if you're saying that the punter is the least important player on the roster... what does that mean for the long snapper?
I waiver between LS and P as the least important position on a team.

Would you rather have Nicks, Strief, Colston, or Tennant, or a freaking punter?

And if you wanna play the what-if game, suppose Morstead was a bust? Is he still worth two picks in a draft where we only had 4 picks? Judging from our special teams units a real football player probably benefits us more than a punter.

Guess how many punters were picked this entire decade. And guess how many were picked in round 5 or earlier. And guess how many draft picks those teams had when they picked that punter that early.

I'll take a Carl Nicks over a punter all day long, especially if I only have 4 picks.
Danno is online now  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/35725-seriously-i-am-ready-boycott-saints-until-somone-fired.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
Seriously I am ready to boycott the Saints until somone is fired This thread Refback 08-26-2011 12:44 AM 16


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:00 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts