Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Playoffs or bust?

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by The Dude Dude last year over half this board was talking about firing Payton if we went 7-9 this year. A lot of those myself not included, wanted him gone then. Just because you are the eternal ...

Like Tree89Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2017, 01:30 PM   #21
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 5,182
Re: Playoffs or bust?

Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
Dude last year over half this board was talking about firing Payton if we went 7-9 this year. A lot of those myself not included, wanted him gone then. Just because you are the eternal optimist doesn't mean you have to hate on people who are realistic.
You are a polae opposite of Willsaintswhatever. You have your ideas and if anyone else has one you don't agree with you act as their points aren't valid.
Just because we don't all think Brees will play 5 more years like you do doesn't mean we don't hope he will.
Dude, last year a handful of people around here were talking about firing Payton. Pretty much the same few that are always griping about things anyway. First of all, there was no chance of Payton being fired in the first place which showed how little those people knew. Secondly, whether the record reflected it or not, for the past two years the franchise has been heading in the right direction. Any change at the top would thrown all of that to the wind.

Being negative and always looking at worst case scenarios is not being realistic.
AsylumGuido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:53 PM   #22
Realist
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mid City, New Orleans
Posts: 2,849
Re: Playoffs or bust?

Chris and Saintfaninatlhell answered it better than I could.

I would only add that IMO...a question like this is usually made at the end of a season of failure like the last few. But when asked at this time, it felt WillSaint81 ish...This is the time for optimism..the time when everything is puppy dogs and rainbows. The new season is almost here and everyone is on a even keel at this point. Its the time for speculation..the time for HOPE and the time for optimism.

To me Dude, your post felt negative and I took it as such. If that wasn't your intention, I get it. Its all good. You are correct, this is a fan forum. We are all entitled to our own opinion.

I am looking forward to this season and being here talking about the team we all love. So lets stay optimistic and hope we can turn this thing around. WHO DAT!
AsylumGuido likes this.
CharityMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:34 AM   #23
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,647
Re: Playoffs or bust?

Originally Posted by SaintFanInATLHELL View Post
That's a false argument. There's only one person in the Saints organization that can demand change: Tom Benson. He treats Loomis and Payton like they are his sons. It may literally take getting a new owner for there to be a change in leadership with the Saints.



I do value your opinion. But honestly it isn't actionable. To have an impact, the entire WhoDat Nation would have to turn their back on the team and walk away. And we all know how likely that's going to happen.


Well Guido is the eternal optimist. And honestly, June, July, and August is the right time for optimism. I posit his frustration is that many refuse to take into account the positive changes and focus only on the what could have beens (Zeitler for example) and what poor outcomes are possible (such as your question) at a time when nothing can be done about either.

I think another missed point is that the schedule matters each and every season. There are divisions in the NFL that are tough sledding. Currently the AFC West (who the Saints played last year) are an excellent example. Then there are creampuffs (the NFC West is sliding back into that category). So each season part of the evaluation is sizing up the competition. This season only the AFC East is likely in the bottom 3 of divisions. And it gets complicated early on because we take on the best two teams in that division in the first 4 games under unusual circumstances (away game in London).

Here's my bottom line: the first valid team evaluation cannot occur until the first quarter of the season has been played. And this season with such a brutal start (3 away games and the Patriots at home), it may take upwards of 8,10, or even 12 games to really understand the positioning of the Saints this upcoming season.

My point (and I think Guido's too) is that it's way premature to be asking about massive changes under a what if scenario. I can easily flip it and ask:



Would your question have any validity at that point?

So let's focus on the potential. The potential of having a realtively healthy and talented secondary. The potential of having fast and well coached linebackers for the first time in a decade. The potential of a stout and deep defensive line.

We can debate the aftermath after some games have been played. But right now everyone in the NFL is 0-0 and has just as much of a chance as anyone else to get deep into the playoffs.

So why focus on the negative now?

SFIAH
So you believe this year will be different if we start out 1-3 again or worse when evidence points toward that not being the case?
WillSaints81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 03:39 PM   #24
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 10,227
Re: Playoffs or bust?

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
Once again, try getting your facts straight. It would have been uncharacteristic of Brees to put something like that on social media because he never did. Brees was interviewed by Mike Nabors and Nabors posted the following tweet without any context.

https://twitter.com/MikeNabors/statu...35466431574016

Nabors later posted the following tweet explaining that the context of the quote had nothing to do with any possibility of leaving the Saints for another team. It had to do with his own career.

https://twitter.com/MikeNabors/statu...48881799593985

To further place this all in context, the interview was immediately following the final game of the season against the Falcons. Brees subsequently expressed and stressed his desire to play with the Saints well into his forties.

Do you ever research anything before you post it as fact?

Splitting hairs I see......
spkb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 03:41 PM   #25
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 10,227
Re: Playoffs or bust?

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
Dude, last year a handful of people around here were talking about firing Payton. Pretty much the same few that are always griping about things anyway. First of all, there was no chance of Payton being fired in the first place which showed how little those people knew. Secondly, whether the record reflected it or not, for the past two years the franchise has been heading in the right direction. Any change at the top would thrown all of that to the wind.

Being negative and always looking at worst case scenarios is not being realistic.
Last year a handful of people on this board went missing during the losing...
spkb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 03:52 PM   #26
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 5,182
Re: Playoffs or bust?

Originally Posted by spkb25 View Post
Splitting hairs I see......
Splitting hairs? More like chopping trees.
AsylumGuido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 04:28 PM   #27
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 10,227
Re: Playoffs or bust?

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
Splitting hairs? More like chopping trees.
Yeah, drew doesn't e joy losing and I noticed he didn't sign or even want to to discuss a new contract. My man might want to see what else is out there. He's not like you. He can handle reality.
spkb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 04:47 PM   #28
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 5,182
Re: Playoffs or bust?

Originally Posted by spkb25 View Post
Yeah, drew doesn't e joy losing and I noticed he didn't sign or even want to to discuss a new contract. My man might want to see what else is out there. He's not like you. He can handle reality.
Brees said he doesn't want to discuss a new contract at this point because he wanted to take his career a year at a time. NOT his time with the Saints. He has also said he has no intention of playing anywhere else. His agent, as I have pointed out to you on several occasions, is the same agent that Peyton Manning has. Manning also went to a year to year mode over the last few years of his contract. And before you say that, "Yeah! And Manning left Indy!," don't forget he was released after his injury AND his absolute replacement was in place. He didn't choose to leave.

I can handle reality. Reality is an understanding of the present environment. It is you, my friend, that cannot recognize reality because you are so absorbed in your personal agenda.

AsylumGuido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 04:52 PM   #29
Site Donor 2015
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Thibodaux
Posts: 15,169
Blog Entries: 25
Re: Playoffs or bust?

Originally Posted by foreverfan View Post
Playoffs or bust? Can we all agree on at least a decent pre-game show?

In the Modern Colloquialisms Dictionary next to the term Gratuitous Pics is a URL to ForeverFan...
foreverfan likes this.
jeanpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 04:58 PM   #30
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 5,182
Re: Playoffs or bust?

Originally Posted by jeanpierre View Post
In the Modern Colloquialisms Dictionary next to the term Gratuitous Pics is a URL to ForeverFan...


Definition of gratuitous pics

1
a : pictures given unearned or without recompense
b : pictures not involving a return benefit, compensation, or consideration has gratuitous permission to pass over private land
c : pictures costing nothing : free The restaurant provided a gratuitous appetizer picture.

2
: pictures not called for by the circumstances : unwarranted gratuitous insolence a gratuitous assumption

gratuitously pictured adverb

gratuitousness picture noun

3
foreverfan likes this.
AsylumGuido is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/83099-playoffs-bust.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
The Latest New Orleans Saints News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 06-15-2017 10:41 PM 6
Playoffs or bust? This thread Refback 06-15-2017 10:14 PM 1


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2014 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts