New Orleans Saints Forums - blackandgold.com

New Orleans Saints Forums - blackandgold.com (https://blackandgold.com/community/)
-   Saints (https://blackandgold.com/saints/)
-   -   Breaking News: Meachem breaking news (https://blackandgold.com/saints/59978-meachem-breaking-news.html)

TheOak 09-03-2013 02:06 PM

Meachem breaking news
 
1 Attachment(s)
@MikeTriplett: RT @BWilliamsonESPN: Breaking: Former #Charger WR Robert Meachem on verge of signing with #Saints.

m.twitter.com/MikeTriplett

saintsfan1976 09-03-2013 02:07 PM

Re: Meachem breaking news
 
If the shoe fits...

|Mitch| 09-03-2013 02:09 PM

Re: Meachem breaking news
 
ummm, I'm confused. Why do we need him?

rezburna 09-03-2013 02:10 PM

Re: Meachem breaking news
 
He was my favorite receiver.

arsaint 09-03-2013 02:11 PM

Re: Meachem breaking news
 
OK.......

Who would we cut?

SapperSaint 09-03-2013 02:15 PM

Re: Meachem breaking news
 
This doesn't sound like good news for some reason.

saintsfan1976 09-03-2013 02:16 PM

Re: Meachem breaking news
 
Cut or trade?

Halo 09-03-2013 02:19 PM

Re: Meachem breaking news
 
He was cut.
If he signs hope we trade someone.
Would rather get something rather than cut our talent.
Many teams looking for WR help.

|Mitch| 09-03-2013 02:21 PM

Re: Meachem breaking news
 
Trade Ingram for picks and sign Meachem? Rely on Cadet/Robinson to shoulder the load? :doh:

papz 09-03-2013 02:21 PM

Re: Meachem breaking news
 
I can dig it... but hopefully it doesn't come at the expense of Tanner. I was rooting for that kid.


I just want to point this out before the Meachem bashers come in. Remember that Brees to Meachem has always been one of the highest rated QB/WR duos in the league. Their rating together was out the roof if I remember correctly.

rezburna 09-03-2013 02:23 PM

Re: Meachem breaking news
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by papz (Post 522858)
I can dig it... but hopefully it doesn't come at the expense of Tanner. I was rooting for that kid.


I just want to point this out before the Meachem bashers come in. Remember that Brees to Meachem has always been one of the highest rated QB/WR duos in the league. Their rating together was out the roof if I remember correctly.

I rather have Meachem on the field then Tanner. Meachem is a big play guy. Reunite him with Brees and Payton and we might see some magic.

Budsdrinker 09-03-2013 02:25 PM

Re: Meachem breaking news
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rezburna (Post 522860)
I rather have Meachem on the field then Tanner. Meachem is a big play guy. Reunite him with Brees and Payton and we might see some magic.

Tanner has never been on the field with Brees in a game so how do you know that wouldn't work?

Danno 09-03-2013 02:26 PM

Re: Meachem breaking news
 
I really don't see him as any better than who we already have.

But, if I'm gonna trust the coaches on Ingram and Harper, I gotta do it here.

They obviously were impressed with his visit, or something is wrong with one of our WR's that we don't know about.

And why sign him now? His contract will be fully guaranteed.

I don't get it.

TheOak 09-03-2013 02:27 PM

Re: Meachem breaking news
 
I'm curious as to the timing of this. Why now and not after Sunday when is not guaranteed?

|Mitch| 09-03-2013 02:28 PM

Re: Meachem breaking news
 
Was it Stills who landed wrong in the Miami game? Maybe more serious than thought to be?

rezburna 09-03-2013 02:28 PM

Re: Meachem breaking news
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Budsdrinker (Post 522861)
Tanner has never been on the field with Brees in a game so how do you know that wouldn't work?

I didn't say it wouldn't work, I just don't care to see if it does. I'm not big on Tanner.

Danno 09-03-2013 02:28 PM

Re: Meachem breaking news
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOak (Post 522863)
I'm curious as to the timing of this. Why now and not after Sunday when is not guaranteed?

Sign and retire a Saint?

Danno 09-03-2013 02:29 PM

Re: Meachem breaking news
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by |Mitch| (Post 522864)
Was it Stills who landed wrong in the Miami game? Maybe more serious than thought to be?

That was Toon, and yes that has me very worried. Maybe Toon is seriously hurt.

|Mitch| 09-03-2013 02:31 PM

Re: Meachem breaking news
 
I don't see how it could be serious; he was laughing and joking on the sideline before he walked in the lockerroom under his own power

rezburna 09-03-2013 02:32 PM

Re: Meachem breaking news
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danno (Post 522867)
That was Toon, and yes that has me very worried. Maybe Toon is seriously hurt.

I don't think that's the case. I just don't think we ever really wanted to lose Meachem in the first place. He went for a payday.

Beastmode 09-03-2013 02:32 PM

Re: Meachem breaking news
 
Toon never came back out the locker room right? I don't recall him being on the sideline after that injury...

TheOak 09-03-2013 02:33 PM

Re: Meachem breaking news
 
I am looking at this way...

What have the last few players we got from the Chargers done? :hallucinate::)
==================================================
Robert Meachem joined a lengthy list when the former Saints wide receiver turned his production on a high-powered offense into a big contract with another team as a free agent.

Meachem was a total flop with the Chargers, catching 14 passes for 207 yards and two touchdowns during the 2012 season. Those numbers were bad enough that the Chargers ate $5 million in guaranteed money in order to remove Meachem from the roster when they made the cut to 53 players.

Now it looks like Meachem is headed back to the site of his success. Bill Williamson of ESPN.com reports that Meachem is “on verge” of signing with the Saints as a free agent.

The loss of Joe Morgan for the season opened a spot in the Saints receiving corps for a player who can threaten defenses deep, something Meachem did well enough to score 20 times in his last three seasons with the team. There were few signs of that player in San Diego last season or this summer, but the past success makes it easy to understand why the Saints are making a low-risk bet that a change of scenery was the exact opposite of what the receiver needed.

Report: Robert Meachem on the verge of return to Saints | ProFootballTalk

AlaskaSaints 09-03-2013 02:34 PM

Re: Meachem breaking news
 
I thought we were absolutely insane for letting him go.
Robert Meachem should retire a Saint, and I'd like to see him score over the middle again before he does.

Alaska

TheOak 09-03-2013 02:35 PM

Re: Meachem breaking news
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlaskaSaints (Post 522873)
I thought we were absolutely insane for letting him go.
Robert Meachem should retire a Saint, and I'd like to see him score over the middle again before he does.

Alaska

Good point... Prelude to an early retirement?

SmashMouth 09-03-2013 02:35 PM

Re: Meachem breaking news
 
Hasn't he lost some speed already? If so, as stated previously, why do we need him? ...other than retirement talk.

dueceloose 09-03-2013 02:36 PM

Re: Meachem breaking news
 
if that's the case sign Henderson too so he can retire a saint.

Danno 09-03-2013 02:39 PM

Re: Meachem breaking news
 
Maybe "comes to terms" means we'll sign him next Monday instead of today.

Lord_Saint83 09-03-2013 02:41 PM

Re: Meachem breaking news
 
Oh lord, the saints just can't leave well enough alone. If san diego was willing to take a 5 million dollar hit to cut him, then the guy ain't worth much.

SaintsBro 09-03-2013 02:43 PM

Re: Meachem breaking news
 
It's either Toon's injury is worse, or something else. My first thought was that they were just bringing him in as a friendly courtesy workout, take a look, and then maybe some OTHER team would hear that the Saints were interested and decide to take a look at him, too. Then again, Payton is also kinda ADD about his weapons and his toys. It's a compulsion, he probably can't stop looking at offensive players even if he wanted to. He is NEVER fully content with what he's got until the very last rock has been turned over and the last tire on the lot has been kicked.

I still am not convinced it's for real, until it's announced he's actually signed. Meachem could be "on the verge" of signing, then get on a plane and go somewhere else for a workout tomorrow.

rezburna 09-03-2013 02:44 PM

Re: Meachem breaking news
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SaintsBro (Post 522883)
It's either Toon's injury is worse, or something else. My first thought was that they were just bringing him in as a friendly courtesy workout, take a look, and then maybe some OTHER team would hear that the Saints were interested and decide to take a look at him, too. Then again, Payton is also kinda ADD about his weapons and his toys. It's a compulsion, he probably can't stop looking at offensive players even if he wanted to. He is NEVER fully content with what he's got until the very last rock has been turned over and the last tire on the lot has been kicked.

I still am not convinced it's for real, until it's announced he's actually signed. Meachem could be "on the verge" of signing, then get on a plane and go somewhere else for a workout tomorrow.

They just announced it on ESPN. Its official.

I'm happy about it. He's only one year removed from us. Have y'all forgotten just that fast how many yards and TD's he gave us the year before?

TheOak 09-03-2013 02:46 PM

Re: Meachem breaking news
 
As Pat Kerwin says... There is only signed and unsigned.. There is no close or verge; the saved for last, smallest detail about a contract can be the deal breaker.

|Mitch| 09-03-2013 02:47 PM

Re: Meachem breaking news
 
not official yet, I don't think... nothing on twitter about it except "on the verge"

|Mitch| 09-03-2013 02:48 PM

Re: Meachem breaking news
 

TheOak 09-03-2013 02:49 PM

Re: Meachem breaking news
 
This bothers me a lot

Robert Meachem injury: Chargers WR has concussion

Robert Meachem injury: Chargers WR has concussion - SBNation.com

Beastmode 09-03-2013 02:50 PM

Re: Meachem breaking news
 
It has to be injury related and he's the best option. Say Toon is hurt, any other ideas that would trump the decesion?

|Mitch| 09-03-2013 02:50 PM

Re: Meachem breaking news
 
well they have to go through the concussion tests in order to pass the physical...

|Mitch| 09-03-2013 02:54 PM

Re: Meachem breaking news
 
I hope Tanner's not cut :doh:

Halo 09-03-2013 02:57 PM

Re: Meachem breaking news
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by papz (Post 522858)
I can dig it... but hopefully it doesn't come at the expense of Tanner. I was rooting for that kid.


I just want to point this out before the Meachem bashers come in. Remember that Brees to Meachem has always been one of the highest rated QB/WR duos in the league. Their rating together was out the roof if I remember correctly.

I think Meachum was taylor trained and perfect fit for the Saints offense with Brees. He fits best in New Orleans.

|Mitch| 09-03-2013 03:03 PM

Re: Meachem breaking news
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Halo (Post 522892)
I think Meachum was taylor trained and perfect fit for the Saints offense with Brees. He fits best in New Orleans.

Should be able to stretch the field just like Morgan could

dizzle88 09-03-2013 03:06 PM

Re: Meachem breaking news
 
Meh....would rather see toon and stills out there to be honest


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:34 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2020 - BlackandGold.com