Go Back   New Orleans Saints Forums - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Associated Press: NFLís Saints fight to shield emails in Catholic abuse crisis

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by Beastmode I hope the Saints name is cleared but the reality is it won't be. It's awful regardless what is in the emails. Should have steered clear away from it; no help, no sympathy and no empathy. ...

Like Tree72Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2020, 09:31 AM   #51
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 9,602
Re: Associated Press: NFLís Saints fight to shield emails in Catholic abuse crisis

Originally Posted by Beastmode View Post
I hope the Saints name is cleared but the reality is it won't be. It's awful regardless what is in the emails. Should have steered clear away from it; no help, no sympathy and no empathy.

The Church has been doing this for decades. They knew exactly what they were doing. Just like the Saints playbook they have their own playbook dealing with this perpetual problem. They don't even deal with problem, just bury it and move on.
Did you read any of the articles? The whole thing is about the church releasing the list of all implicated priests and they asked civic leaders, including the Saints, about how to approach the release. The church didn't USE the Saints PR department or legal team. There was nothing being hidden. The Saints suggested the church be "open and transparent" about everything. The church did exactly that and released the full list.

The AP headline says the Saints are "shielding their emails". The Saints handed over all 276 requested emails to the plaintiff's lawyers. Are y'all not getting that? The whole point of the article is that the AP itself wants access to the emails. All concerned parties already have access. The AP does not have a right to private correspondence unless the court accepts it as pertinent evidence and at that point it would become public record.

Once again, the Saints are not "shielding" or "hiding" anything.

Be informed. This isn't directed solely at you, Beast, but to those that really do not understand what the AP is attempting.

I am Believing!
AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:35 AM   #52
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 9,602
Re: Associated Press: NFLís Saints fight to shield emails in Catholic abuse crisis

Originally Posted by OldMaid View Post
This just is not good.

No matter if it is CNN, Fox News , or AP running with this story.

I agree with Jay.

Just point blank, no.
N.O. Saints organization of Pr and legal people should not have been involved in this .
Bensons should have used people not employed in their sports franchise.


Next, because of their sports franchisees, they just should have not been involved in this.

Sorry church. I have no advice.
The Saints PR and legal people were reportedly not "used" in this. They were asked for their advice, along with other civic leaders, in the release of the list of priests and they simply suggested being "open and transparent".
AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:51 AM   #53
ENOUGH
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The Barrio, H-town
Posts: 6,009
Re: Associated Press: NFLís Saints fight to shield emails in Catholic abuse crisis

Originally Posted by OldMaid View Post
This just is not good.

No matter if it is CNN, Fox News , or AP running with this story.

I agree with Jay.

Just point blank, no.
N.O. Saints organization of Pr and legal people should not have been involved in this .
Bensons should have used people not employed in their sports franchise.

Next, because of their sports franchisees, they just should have not been involved in this.

Sorry church. I have no advice.
good point, S.

I still doubt any true crime on the Organization's part, but your solution would have prevented this from making any print in the first place.
skymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 11:26 AM   #54
Bounty Money $$$
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 5800 Airline Dr. Metairie, LA.
Posts: 18,350
Re: Associated Press: NFLís Saints fight to shield emails in Catholic abuse crisis

Be honest. Pretty simple advice.
jnormand, AsylumGuido and skymike like this.
Rugby Saint II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 12:19 PM   #55
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 9,602
Re: Associated Press: NFLís Saints fight to shield emails in Catholic abuse crisis

Originally Posted by Rugby Saint II View Post
Be honest. Pretty simple advice.
Yup.
skymike likes this.
AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 01:47 PM   #56
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,248
Re: Associated Press: NFLís Saints fight to shield emails in Catholic abuse crisis

I hate to say who's going to come back into the orbit here if Gayle had a lot to do with this. Let's just hope the team stays in NO.
WillSaints81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 02:53 PM   #57
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 9,602
Re: Associated Press: NFLís Saints fight to shield emails in Catholic abuse crisis

Originally Posted by WillSaints81 View Post
I hate to say who's going to come back into the orbit here if Gayle had a lot to do with this. Let's just hope the team stays in NO.
Had a lot to do with what? What is "this"?
AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:02 PM   #58
Site Donor 2018
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,794
Re: Associated Press: NFLís Saints fight to shield emails in Catholic abuse crisis

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
Where are y'all getting the crazy notion that the Saints management in any way condoned what any child molester did? They have had a long standing relationship with the local archdiocese that asked their advice on public relations, along with several other "civic leaders". The people asking for the advice are not the ones accused of any wrong-doing. The Saints said they suggested be open and transparent. From my understanding the church has been completely cooperative with the investigations. Y'all are buying into the ridiculous hype of the Associated Press trying to create a story.

Try educating yourself before jumping to all kinds of false conclusions. This is what I HATE about the so-called media today.
You lost me at “The church has been completely cooperative “

If anyone asks you “hey I need advice on how to deal with this child diddling thing” you say no.
There is no circumstance where the answer is anything but no.
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 07:04 AM   #59
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 17,771
Re: Associated Press: NFLís Saints fight to shield emails in Catholic abuse crisis

I am not an idealist so there are some very shocking comments in here to say the least. This is a prosecutorial smear campaign and perpetuating it here in these forums only assists in the defamation of an entity that had no hand in the violation of a child.

Cover up = hiding evidence from authorities.
Advice on public affairs has zero to do with any cover up and zero to do with what happened.

The media has really misrepresented this:
- "hundreds of emails that allegedly show team executives doing public relations damage control for the areaís Roman Catholic archdiocese" Advising and performing the damage control are not the same thing, if the Saints were actively performing this accusation we would see it publicly.

- Attorneys for about two dozen men suing the church say in court filings that the 276 documents they obtained through discovery show that the NFL team, whose owner is devoutly Catholic, aided the Archdiocese of New Orleans in its ďpattern and practice of concealing its crimes.Ē Aiding in covering up a crime and aiding in public relations are no where in the same space and I would counter sue for defamation. Limiting public exposure and fallout is not a crime


Here is the bottom line.. ALL 276 documents are in discovery and available to both the prosecution and defense. Absolutely nothing has been withheld from the DA going after the church. Wanting to publicly release the documents is nothing more than a smear campaign against the New Orleans Saints because someone is angry with the Church. Rightfully angry with the Catholic Church but not righteous in taking it out on a football team.

The public has zero right to evidence considered "False Light". If the Saints Organization committed no crime, they are afforded all privacy laws.

I absolutely can not speak to what it feels like to be a parent of a child that has been violated. I can say this however, I do know what it is like to be a friend to many kids that were violated by a priest and my mother had the good sense to not send her son to a Catholic priests private camp on the weekend. The Church is very complicit in enabling this to continue and they do shuffle offending priests around the nation. The church knew what Gilbert Gauthier was doing for seven years and did nothing but damage control until one parent demanded action and Nathan Stansbury prosecuted. Its not just the church however, a community wanted this to be handled quietly.

If you expect the devoutly religious to turn its back on their church in a time of need you are naive. No matter what has transpired they will rationalize that one bad person doesn't make the whole church bad.

I don't do organized religion or political parties they are the same...

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. ~ Henry David Thoreau
TheOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 10:58 AM   #60
Bounty Money $$$
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 5800 Airline Dr. Metairie, LA.
Posts: 18,350
Re: Associated Press: NFLís Saints fight to shield emails in Catholic abuse crisis

Originally Posted by TheOak View Post
I am not an idealist so there are some very shocking comments in here to say the least. This is a prosecutorial smear campaign and perpetuating it here in these forums only assists in the defamation of an entity that had no hand in the violation of a child.

Cover up = hiding evidence from authorities.
Advice on public affairs has zero to do with any cover up and zero to do with what happened.

The media has really misrepresented this:
- "hundreds of emails that allegedly show team executives doing public relations damage control for the areaís Roman Catholic archdiocese" Advising and performing the damage control are not the same thing, if the Saints were actively performing this accusation we would see it publicly.

- Attorneys for about two dozen men suing the church say in court filings that the 276 documents they obtained through discovery show that the NFL team, whose owner is devoutly Catholic, aided the Archdiocese of New Orleans in its ďpattern and practice of concealing its crimes.Ē Aiding in covering up a crime and aiding in public relations are no where in the same space and I would counter sue for defamation. Limiting public exposure and fallout is not a crime


Here is the bottom line.. ALL 276 documents are in discovery and available to both the prosecution and defense. Absolutely nothing has been withheld from the DA going after the church. Wanting to publicly release the documents is nothing more than a smear campaign against the New Orleans Saints because someone is angry with the Church. Rightfully angry with the Catholic Church but not righteous in taking it out on a football team.

The public has zero right to evidence considered "False Light". If the Saints Organization committed no crime, they are afforded all privacy laws.

I absolutely can not speak to what it feels like to be a parent of a child that has been violated. I can say this however, I do know what it is like to be a friend to many kids that were violated by a priest and my mother had the good sense to not send her son to a Catholic priests private camp on the weekend. The Church is very complicit in enabling this to continue and they do shuffle offending priests around the nation. The church knew what Gilbert Gauthier was doing for seven years and did nothing but damage control until one parent demanded action and Nathan Stansbury prosecuted. Its not just the church however, a community wanted this to be handled quietly.

If you expect the devoutly religious to turn its back on their church in a time of need you are naive. No matter what has transpired they will rationalize that one bad person doesn't make the whole church bad.

I don't do organized religion or political parties they are the same...
Amen brother. Preach on!
AsylumGuido likes this.
Rugby Saint II is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://blackandgold.com/saints/96880-associated-press-nfl-s-saints-fight-shield-emails-catholic-abuse-crisis.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
Associated Press: NFLís Saints fight to shield emails in Catholic abuse crisis This thread Refback 01-24-2020 09:40 AM 1


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:34 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2020 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts