Go Back   New Orleans Saints Forums - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

Survey: Are you going to watch the Saints this season?

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; I won't be watching any NFL games this season. But I'm curious. Why does this matter to you, 'Guido? Are you the official blackandgold hall monitor? Do you really believe people require your approval of their opinion? What do you ...

Like Tree170Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2020, 09:41 PM   #41
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,901
Blog Entries: 3
Re: Survey: Are you going to watch the Saints this season?

I won't be watching any NFL games this season.

But I'm curious. Why does this matter to you, 'Guido? Are you the official blackandgold hall monitor? Do you really believe people require your approval of their opinion? What do you gain from compiling this pointless list? You go around here claiming that nothing bothers you, and that you "just enjoy life", and yet nearly all of your time on this site is spent belittling others who have CLEARLY bothered you with their opinions. Otherwise, you'd be sitting there, quietly enjoying whatever it is you're doing, instead of whining and complaining about every dissenting opinion from your own.

And it's not like you're arguing something important. No one has challenged or insulted your faith, your politics, your family, or even you by stating an opinion on what will happen to NFL viewership. A simple "I disagree" followed by a quick summary as to why, would suffice. Instead, your narcissistic self needed your own thread about it.

Do you treat everyone around you this way?

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that, the NFL would fine and suspend me.
burningmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:06 AM   #42
500th Post
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Krum, Tx.
Posts: 655
Re: Survey: Are you going to watch the Saints this season?

Well Iím one of those who ďlurksĒ on here gaining insight and knowledge about my Saints. This is the most civil, most of the time, and knowledgeable board I have ever been a member of. I rarely post much as I usually just read to gain news and understanding of the sport and team I have been a life long fan of. I never played organized football, just weekend pick up games, so I am limited on the lingo associated with the strategies of the game. I was always a baseball nut and I played growing up so I understand the ins and outs of that sport. I do make a point to like comments I agree with or support. In response to the question in the beginning I was very disgruntled and seriously considered dropping all major sports. However, as sports begins to start my dissatisfaction has waned. Itís just a shame that the one thing we could turn to to get away from the troubles of the world for a few hours a week now bring the world in and put it center stage. But I think once the whistle sounds it will be all business from then on. I am a truck driver so I rarely get to watch the games anymore. I have to rely on radio, highlights, this board, or replays posted on YouTube to keep up. So you can count me as one who will watch, when I can.
K Major likes this.

What goes around comes around!
jlouhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:25 AM   #43
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 13,564
Re: Survey: Are you going to watch the Saints this season?

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
I won't be watching any NFL games this season.

But I'm curious. Why does this matter to you, 'Guido? Are you the official blackandgold hall monitor? Do you really believe people require your approval of their opinion? What do you gain from compiling this pointless list? You go around here claiming that nothing bothers you, and that you "just enjoy life", and yet nearly all of your time on this site is spent belittling others who have CLEARLY bothered you with their opinions. Otherwise, you'd be sitting there, quietly enjoying whatever it is you're doing, instead of whining and complaining about every dissenting opinion from your own.

And it's not like you're arguing something important. No one has challenged or insulted your faith, your politics, your family, or even you by stating an opinion on what will happen to NFL viewership. A simple "I disagree" followed by a quick summary as to why, would suffice. Instead, your narcissistic self needed your own thread about it.

Do you treat everyone around you this way?
I am just making a point, burningmetal, that a few of you refused to listen to. Three or four of you have insisted that the NFL would take a financial hit because of their political stance claiming basically that significant percentage of the normal viewership would tune out because of this stance.

What this thread is proving is that the same three or four members are the ONLY ones claiming that they would not watch football this year. This completely supports what I had been attempting to demonstrate though other means. If it makes you feel better personally if you tune out then fine. Good for you. But don't fall under the false assumption that it will have any material affect on the NFL's bottom line as the few of you have erroneously claimed.

burningmetal

That makes 2 definitely not watching, maybe 3.

Frydaddy Smurf could still watch with his fingers in his ears, I suppose.

I am hereby letting everyone know that I have submitted the terms "prebreesian" and "postbreesian" for copyright consideration.
AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 01:59 PM   #44
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 13,564
Re: Survey: Are you going to watch the Saints this season?

Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
Sure. The flag thing doesnít bother me as much as the dog and pony show narratives, twitter wars, etc. centered around each matchup. I donít care about peopleís stories or media build up before the game. Itís like WWE. I support the idea of BLM but not what itís become politically so if it turns into a political campaign I wonít watch. Kneeling for the anthem doesnít bother me but I donít want to listen to hours of debate from those calling the game.
If we have a season at all it may happen with some players sitting out to prevent being exposed to COVID. Both Jenkins have expressed concern over it.
I pointed this out in the other thread, but Malcolm Jenkins is the only Saints player that has expressed any concern about playing. Janoris Jenkins was mistakenly mentioned in a headline two days ago on the SB Nation site while the actually story was about Malcolm. That's why I have always stressed not to only read headlines. The headline writers don't read the articles half the times themselves.

AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 03:04 PM   #45
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,579
Re: Survey: Are you going to watch the Saints this season?

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
I pointed this out in the other thread, but Malcolm Jenkins is the only Saints player that has expressed any concern about playing. Janoris Jenkins was mistakenly mentioned in a headline two days ago on the SB Nation site while the actually story was about Malcolm. That's why I have always stressed not to only read headlines. The headline writers don't read the articles half the times themselves.

Guess he lied on his Twitter.
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 03:18 PM   #46
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 13,564
Re: Survey: Are you going to watch the Saints this season?

Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
Guess he lied on his Twitter.
How so? He has never mentioned anything about it on his Twitter. Malcolm Jenkins did, however, and that is what the article was about.

I follow Janoris Jenkins on Twitter and he has NEVER said anything about any reservations about playing because of COVID.

JackRabbit2.0
@JjenkzLockdown

Take time to read articles referred to by headlines, Dude. I know you are a very busy man, but making unfounded claims based upon erroneous headlines makes you look lazy and I know for a fact that you could not be lazy in your line of business.
AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 03:25 PM   #47
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,901
Blog Entries: 3
Re: Survey: Are you going to watch the Saints this season?

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
I am just making a point, burningmetal, that a few of you refused to listen to. Three or four of you have insisted that the NFL would take a financial hit because of their political stance claiming basically that significant percentage of the normal viewership would tune out because of this stance.

What this thread is proving is that the same three or four members are the ONLY ones claiming that they would not watch football this year. This completely supports what I had been attempting to demonstrate though other means. If it makes you feel better personally if you tune out then fine. Good for you. But don't fall under the false assumption that it will have any material affect on the NFL's bottom line as the few of you have erroneously claimed.

burningmetal

That makes 2 definitely not watching, maybe 3.

Frydaddy Smurf could still watch with his fingers in his ears, I suppose.
Hmm, that's interesting. I don't remember making any comments recently about whether or not the league will take a financial hit. You're putting words in people's mouths, but, that's all semantics, because I can promise you the league WILL take a hit. To what extent? Well, now, that's a whole different conversation, isn't it? The fact that a lot of people will tune out, of course will have some financial impact. Is everyone going to stop watching? No. Will most stop watching? I doubt it.

I'll tell you what WILL ultimately bury the league, unless they change course: If they keep bowing to political correctness, from taking the physicality out of the game, to trying to dictate who gets hired, and who can say what, eventually there will be so much division that no one will want to work together, and the league will fold.

Want an example? Look around at the police officers who are walking off the job because of people telling them how to do their jobs and throwing them under the bus every time a CRIMINAL gets shot, even if the criminal provoked it. Political correctness destroys everything, and it WILL destroy the NFL, if they allow this to continue.

But you didn't answer my question. Why does this matter to you? You don't agree with people. Fine. So what? Why did this need to be it's own thread? I'll just answer for you: You can't get enough of yourself.
iceshack149 and vpheughan like this.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that, the NFL would fine and suspend me.
burningmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 03:51 PM   #48
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 13,564
Re: Survey: Are you going to watch the Saints this season?

Originally Posted by burningmetal View Post
Hmm, that's interesting. I don't remember making any comments recently about whether or not the league will take a financial hit. You're putting words in people's mouths, but, that's all semantics, because I can promise you the league WILL take a hit. To what extent? Well, now, that's a whole different conversation, isn't it? The fact that a lot of people will tune out, of course will have some financial impact. Is everyone going to stop watching? No. Will most stop watching? I doubt it.

I'll tell you what WILL ultimately bury the league, unless they change course: If they keep bowing to political correctness, from taking the physicality out of the game, to trying to dictate who gets hired, and who can say what, eventually there will be so much division that no one will want to work together, and the league will fold.

Want an example? Look around at the police officers who are walking off the job because of people telling them how to do their jobs and throwing them under the bus every time a CRIMINAL gets shot, even if the criminal provoked it. Political correctness destroys everything, and it WILL destroy the NFL, if they allow this to continue.

But you didn't answer my question. Why does this matter to you? You don't agree with people. Fine. So what? Why did this need to be it's own thread? I'll just answer for you: You can't get enough of yourself.
I made my own thread because I can. The fact that it gets your panties in a wad just shows that you have the problem. You were simply among the three or four people that said they would not watch the NFL. It may not have been you claiming all the financial impacts of your tiny minority, but you were included in the minuscule numbers.

What you fail to understand is that most people can intellectually separate entertainment from politics. When the whistle is blown the players can.

Enjoy your time away from the game. Like the old saying goes, "Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out."


I am hereby letting everyone know that I have submitted the terms "prebreesian" and "postbreesian" for copyright consideration.
AsylumGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 04:49 PM   #49
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,901
Blog Entries: 3
Re: Survey: Are you going to watch the Saints this season?

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
I made my own thread because I can. The fact that it gets your panties in a wad just shows that you have the problem. You were simply among the three or four people that said they would not watch the NFL. It may not have been you claiming all the financial impacts of your tiny minority, but you were included in the minuscule numbers.

What you fail to understand is that most people can intellectually separate entertainment from politics. When the whistle is blown the players can.

Enjoy your time away from the game. Like the old saying goes, "Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out."

Anyone CAN make a thread. That doesn't answer the question as to WHY you took a personal disagreement with what you've described as being only "3 or 4 posters" and made it into a thread. But that's alright, because everyone already knows the answer. You love attention.

The fact that I'm calling you out on it bothers you, and so you claim my "panties" are in a wad? Well isn't that hilariously hypocritical... Who was it that got HIS panties so wadded up about someone's opinion on what would happen to the NFL that he had to make a thread about it? Oh, wait, did you think you had the sole right to disagree on this board? You're making my point much more powerfully than I could have on my own. So thanks for that.

And let me make something clear to you: There is nothing "intellectual" about separating sports from politics, when sports BECOME political. Do you think people like me are not watching because we found out some of the players are Democrats? No, we're not watching because these spoiled little brats are hypocrites, crying racism as they rake in millions, while simultaneously proving that they, in fact, are racist. Silencing all thought that does not align with theirs, and demanding sympathy. I'm not entertained by that. When I think of entertainment, I think of an escape from politics and drama. That escape is gone.

You aren't bothered by any of that because you don't care. You have shifted your supposedly conservative views to align with theirs so that you can justify continuing to support them. I know that, because I observed it right here on this very board. I saw your shift in real time. Well, I'm not like you.

I've said things like this in the past, only to have certain posters accuse me of trying to elevate myself as some kind of heroic character. Which was confusing, considering all I did was give my opinion, and never demanded that anyone follow me. It's not a sacrifice I'm making. That would imply that I'm giving up something I love. I don't love the NFL anymore. And so the choice is easy. So before people like you go on a rant about things you don't know about me, again, let that fact be known. This is not a sacrifice by me.

So with that said, I'm not sure why you feel the need to rub my decision in my face, and tell me I'm part of the "tiny minority". I'm not interfering with your precious football time. You can have it. You can have all of it. I can't express to you how much I don't care what you watch. It is you who seemingly feels that you deserve some award for NOT discontinuing your fandom. You seem to have equated your commitment to football, to actually being a better person than me, and others who won't be watching. That's really quite pathetic.
vpheughan likes this.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that, the NFL would fine and suspend me.
burningmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:22 PM   #50
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,627
Re: Survey: Are you going to watch the Saints this season?

I can only imagine the progress Earth could achieve if only you'd apply your intellectual and highly scientific methods to the basic problems of mankind.

As a former know-it-all myself, I realize what a great annoyance I can be to someone who actually does know it all.

But if we wanted to be intellectually honest, we would not create an informal survey on a Saints super-fan site asking a small handful of invested posters who have dedicated themselves 24/7, years on end (even before your time sir), to painstakingly chronicle every aspect of being a Saints fan...if they would not watch the Saints this year.

There could be a little bias there, but even so, let's give the devil his due.

What I have the most trouble with is the changing motivations and rationale behind the points that you are only trying to prove to yourself.

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
But, the game for me is a relief and the ability to escape and pull for my team. I can still do that regardless of the individuals that play the game. To me, whether I agree or disagree with anything outside of the white lines with those players means less than what I get out of the game itself. I guess I am far more invested than most in the game.

As outspoken as I may seem, I let stuff roll off my back. It is almost impossible to ruffle my feathers.

That said, I also enjoy the sport of debate. Not too sporting with a few, but several step up for the game. Y'all each know who you are. Or should. Or are not able.
Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
If you wish to stop watching all NFL then you have that right. But just understand that you are only doing it for you. It is not going to affect the bottom line of the league one bit, nor the viewing pleasure of all of the rest of the fans.
1. A relief from what, and an escape into what? Terrible traffic...bad hair day? OR maybe the escalating chaos around us that the NFL seems intent on dragging into its broadcasts? Not my idea of tranquil, but I'll give the devil his due. It's entertainment, nothing more, nothing less -- except that it isn't. Goodell has turned your beloved NFL into a repository for human interest stories. I don't care that Joe had 3 car accidents and ate beanie weenies throughout childhood and still became an inspirational figure...I just want football, honest football.

We get around 11 minutes of actual football action...the rest is made up of commercials, penalties, and replays. An escape into 2hrs 50mins of commercials, and penalties. You spend an entire year waiting for the playoffs, and it ends with the NFL saying "we missed that penalty"? Integrity MATTERS. Out of all the ticky tack penalties, you miss THAT? Trust MATTERS.

2. You let stuff roll off your back. This isn't true, and that's ok, I'm sensitive too.

3. "nor the viewing pleasure of all the rest of the fans"...am I not a fan? How are you quantifying "all the rest of em'"? Are you positive you're not applying your own assumptions? It doesn't take a majority of anything to affect the bottom line of anything.

Why do customer service departments exist? Surely, the majority of customers don't complain or return what they buy, do they? It takes an average of 10 repeat good experiences for a customer to return to a previous level of trust after a bad experience with a business, if ever. Even observing plainly that a couple people kneeling on the sideline affected the entire league.

Young people may or may not be replacing an aging demographic, why do you think they're trying to go international and cater to women? To make up for lost demographics. That's a problem. Ask Greece what low birthrate does to an economy. Younger people aren't replacing the aging and retiring work force, so basically pensions are slashed and over 10% of the population lives BELOW poverty level with a total income loss of 70%. Not exactly apples to apples, but decreasing young audience has implications for the future.

Sure, I know this all looks like idealistic ranting, but principle still matters to me, and a little pain now is worth a better future. Of course, I didn't invent football, I don't own it, and have no real claim to demand it to change if it doesn't want to. That's fine too I guess. I gotta go cut grass
WillMacKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2020 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts