Go Back   New Orleans Saints Forums - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints

N/S Your take on the XFL

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by hitta They only have 8 teams now, they will grow. It is important for them to grow, as someone needs to put some pressure on the NFL(or overtake the NFL). The NFL has been trending towards **** ...

Like Tree59Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2020, 12:57 PM   #11
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 9,793
Re: N/S Your take on the XFL

Originally Posted by hitta View Post
They only have 8 teams now, they will grow. It is important for them to grow, as someone needs to put some pressure on the NFL(or overtake the NFL). The NFL has been trending towards **** for years. Someone needs to force them to re-evaluate themselves. Just look at the XFL's ingenious kickoff rule. The NFL was wanting to get rid of the kickoff all together for player safety. The XFL did something that is fun, exciting, and a heck of a lot more safe. Hopefully they will get a New Orleans team ,but it is still early in their development.
This league and their rules were not made in a vacuum from the NFL. There are NFL people on every level of the XFL and I'll guarantee you that all of these rules have been discussed in the NFL back rooms. The XFL is not meant to be competition for the NFL ... not now or in the future. What it is is a proving ground for players, coaches, front office, officials AND rules for the NFL.
neugey and Thirty3 like this.
AsylumGuido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 01:31 PM   #12
10000 POST CLUB
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cypress Tx.
Posts: 17,786
Re: N/S Your take on the XFL

Originally Posted by hitta View Post
The NFL has been trending towards **** for years.
Brother, I get it... But by the matrix that matter in business, revenue and profit, their formula is a huge success.

The NFL isn't Run - DMC anymore, it's closer to Milli Vanilli... full of fake entertainment.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...fl-since-2005/
TheOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 02:51 PM   #13
Hu Dat!
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,958
Blog Entries: 7
Re: N/S Your take on the XFL

This incarnation is SO much better than the original XFL. The XFL really could have staying power as a minor/feeder league to the NFL. It isn't going to ever compete with the NFL unless NFL has an extraordinary scandal or labor issue like never seen before.

The key to the XFL being successful long-term is actually going to be the NCAA, not the NFL. I'm very curious to see their first draft or rosters a year or two down the road look when/if the XFL manages to get some popular college stars that couldn't quite find a home in the NFL. XFL needs to milk the college ties, then they will get more people hooked and retain fan interest organically.

LIKES:
  • Broadcast/coverage. LOVED that they had Joel Klatt, Brock Huard and carryover of multiple college broadcast people. Created familiarity so I didn't feel like I stepped into some alternate universe LOL.
  • Kickoff rule is much better because NFL kickoffs are often so anti-climactic (block in back or kick out of endzone). This is more like a rugby play and better tests the skill of the players.
  • Extra-point rules are good and keep you interested.
  • Much Less gimmicky than original XFL.
  • Good pace and officiating, games didn't turn into flag-fests or review-fests.

DISLIKES:
  • Broadcast offensive play-calls (It was kind of cool to get in touch with the football terms and lingo, but spoils the fun of not knowing if the run or pass was coming)
  • Interviewing coaches and players - I liked it, but they need to dial it back a bit.

#FireGoodell
neugey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 03:10 PM   #14
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 9,793
Re: N/S Your take on the XFL

Originally Posted by neugey View Post
This incarnation is SO much better than the original XFL. The XFL really could have staying power as a minor/feeder league to the NFL. It isn't going to ever compete with the NFL unless NFL has an extraordinary scandal or labor issue like never seen before.

The key to the XFL being successful long-term is actually going to be the NCAA, not the NFL. I'm very curious to see their first draft or rosters a year or two down the road look when/if the XFL manages to get some popular college stars that couldn't quite find a home in the NFL. XFL needs to milk the college ties, then they will get more people hooked and retain fan interest organically.

LIKES:
  • Broadcast/coverage. LOVED that they had Joel Klatt, Brock Huard and carryover of multiple college broadcast people. Created familiarity so I didn't feel like I stepped into some alternate universe LOL.
  • Kickoff rule is much better because NFL kickoffs are often so anti-climactic (block in back or kick out of endzone). This is more like a rugby play and better tests the skill of the players.
  • Extra-point rules are good and keep you interested.
  • Much Less gimmicky than original XFL.
  • Good pace and officiating, games didn't turn into flag-fests or review-fests.

DISLIKES:
  • Broadcast offensive play-calls (It was kind of cool to get in touch with the football terms and lingo, but spoils the fun of not knowing if the run or pass was coming)
  • Interviewing coaches and players - I liked it, but they need to dial it back a bit.
As for your first dislike, there was minimal practice time available for the start up to introduce nothing more than a basic playbook. I have a feeling that we'll start seeing more checks being made at the line as the season progresses where the decision to go run or pass will depend more on the read at the line. As for the second, I'll bet they do dial it back a bit with push back by the coaches. Todd Haley, now an NFL Radio co-host, said he would absolutely hate the in game interviews. He also said he was offered the head coaching job with the NY team but turned it down. Yet, he is still paying close attention as he has several friends involved.

I am Believing!
AsylumGuido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:12 PM   #15
500th Post
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 952
Re: N/S Your take on the XFL

Originally Posted by TheOak View Post
Brother, I get it... But by the matrix that matter in business, revenue and profit, their formula is a huge success.

The NFL isn't Run - DMC anymore, it's closer to Milli Vanilli... full of fake entertainment.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...fl-since-2005/
That has a lot to do with the fact that the NFL is a unfair monopoly that gets billions in subsidies from US taxpayers making it very difficult for other organizations to compete with it for market share. This in turn makes it so they can do whatever they want and still control the market. It shouldn't work this way. There should be competition between different leagues, and the best most successful leagues should be the ones that put the best product on the field. This is the prime reason that I have a little hope in the XFL as it has better financial backing than the other attempts.
skymike likes this.
hitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:36 PM   #16
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 9,793
Re: N/S Your take on the XFL

Originally Posted by hitta View Post


That has a lot to do with the fact that the NFL is a unfair monopoly that gets billions in subsidies from US taxpayers making it very difficult for other organizations to compete with it for market share. This in turn makes it so they can do whatever they want and still control the market. It shouldn't work this way. There should be competition between different leagues, and the best most successful leagues should be the ones that put the best product on the field. This is the prime reason that I have a little hope in the XFL as it has better financial backing than the other attempts.
You are going under the assumption that the XFL would ever want to compete with the NFL. That is not going to happen if they ever wish to be viable. To compete they would have to eventually have comparable talent and that would require comparable finances. It would take decades for this to happen. They know that and that is why the only way the league could ever survive would be for it to be a compliment to the NFL, not a competitor to the NFL.

XFL players make a salary of $55,000 per season. That's less than the average strength coach makes in the NFL. They are not now, nor ever will be a competitor with the NFL.

To be honest, the CFL is the only league that can come close to being able to compete and even they know their place. I'm afraid you need to give up your pipe dream at least in any of our lifetimes.

I am Believing!
AsylumGuido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:39 PM   #17
500th Post
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 952
Re: N/S Your take on the XFL

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
You are going under the assumption that the XFL would ever want to compete with the NFL. That is not going to happen if they ever wish to be viable. To compete they would have to eventually have comparable talent and that would require comparable finances. It would take decades for this to happen. They know that and that is why the only way the league could ever survive would be for it to be a compliment to the NFL, not a competitor to the NFL.

XFL players make a salary of $55,000 per season. That's less than the average strength coach makes in the NFL. They are not now, nor ever will be a competitor with the NFL.

To be honest, the CFL is the only league that can come close to being able to compete and even they know their place. I'm afraid you need to give up your pipe dream at least in any of our lifetimes.
The salaries are low because they have no revenue stream. As the revenue streams go up, the salaries will as well. Eventually they will try to steal players from the NFL. If the XFL continues its success, if you think there won't be a point where the XFL tries to out compete the NFL on offers to particular players, you are wrong.
hitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:00 PM   #18
500th Post
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Gonzales, LA
Posts: 940
Re: N/S Your take on the XFL

I watched a couple of games and enjoyed it. Nice to watch some football.

I don't think they become a challenger to the NFL. But, that might be a good thing. As someone posted earlier in this thread, the games seem to be affordable. Can't say that about the NFL right now.

I think the league will eventually become a league with young guys trying to get to the NFL and older guys who the NFL doesn't want anymore. Hate to say this, but kind of like the MLS in soccer.
stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:50 PM   #19
5000 POSTS! +
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 9,793
Re: N/S Your take on the XFL

Originally Posted by hitta View Post
The salaries are low because they have no revenue stream. As the revenue streams go up, the salaries will as well. Eventually they will try to steal players from the NFL. If the XFL continues its success, if you think there won't be a point where the XFL tries to out compete the NFL on offers to particular players, you are wrong.
LOL!!

hitta, my friend. Player contracts in the XFL are capped at $55,000 right now. That is less than an NFL player earns under contract for getting fitted for his jock strap.

I assume you haven't understood the concept of the XFL.

Your wild-assed dream that the XFL, or even the CFL that has been around for longer than the NFL, could compete monetarily for talent is beyond idiocy. I want some of your drugs, my friend.
AsylumGuido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:43 AM   #20
500th Post
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 952
Re: N/S Your take on the XFL

Originally Posted by AsylumGuido View Post
LOL!!

hitta, my friend. Player contracts in the XFL are capped at $55,000 right now. That is less than an NFL player earns under contract for getting fitted for his jock strap.

I assume you haven't understood the concept of the XFL.

Your wild-assed dream that the XFL, or even the CFL that has been around for longer than the NFL, could compete monetarily for talent is beyond idiocy. I want some of your drugs, my friend.
Player contracts are not capped at $55,000.. that is the average XFL salary. Some players, such as Cardale Jones are making over $500k. Why wouldn't the XFL want to compete with the NFL? Do you think their motto is "Watch the NFL instead, we suck."?
hitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:11 PM.


Copyright 1997 - 2020 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts