Go Back   New Orleans Saints - blackandgold.com > Main > Saints
Shop Horizontal

2010 NFL Draft

this is a discussion within the Saints Community Forum; Originally Posted by saintsfan1976 Look, our two 30yr old LB's played well this season but we still need to add a stud LB w sideline speed and better coverage skills. Don't forget that Arnoux (cross fingers) will basically have his ...

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2010, 07:42 AM   #61
Cake or Death?
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,479
Re: 2010 NFL Draft

Originally Posted by saintsfan1976 View Post
Look, our two 30yr old LB's played well this season but we still need to add a stud LB w sideline speed and better coverage skills.
Don't forget that Arnoux (cross fingers) will basically have his rookie year. That gives us some additional depth at LB. But I still completely agree here. We still need a playmaker young guy challenging the two outsiders. Eric Norwood, Sergio Kindle (my favorite), Navarro Bowman or Sean Weatherspoon would be obvious.

But I wouldn't doubt that the Saints take a DE or LT prospect first round then go LB later in the draft since it is so deep of a position. A.J. Edds, Sean Lee, Ricky Sapp, Darryl Washington and Sharpton and even Myron Rolle may project well in the later rounds.

One thing I learned from drinking. You should always go Christmas caroling with a group. Oh, and always in mid-December.
exile is offline  
Latest Blogs
The ArtiChoke Last Blog: 09-18-2014 By: Barry from MS


How to really handle Ray Rice and AP Last Blog: 09-17-2014 By: neugey


The Lost Art of the Trade Last Blog: 08-30-2014 By: jeanpierre


Old 02-15-2010, 09:55 AM   #62
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Canton, Ohio
Posts: 2,683
Blog Entries: 2
Re: 2010 NFL Draft

we will be looking for a DT, DE, and LB in this draft

we havent seriously gone after a DE since will smith nearly 6 years ago.

i would venture to say we aggressively pursue a DE in this draft and a NT to go along with ellis

next biggest issue would be LB but considering we have 2 very serviceable LBs plus promising young guys like arnoux, cassillas, waters(if we bring him back), and dunbar.....i cant see us going after a linebacker as much as a DT or DE
CantonLegend is offline  
Old 02-15-2010, 10:10 AM   #63
100th Post
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 449
Re: 2010 NFL Draft

BPA! BPA! BPA!

What about Terrence Cody? I certainly dont see him as an every down player for us, but I like Hargrove as a pass rusher on the inside. Would Cody be a good value pick knowing he would be at most a 2 down run stopping specialist in the mold of a Pat Williams who plays the run situations, but slides off the field in obvious passing downs. His size would allow him occupy multiple blockers making it harder to double team Ellis and to free up Vilma to make even more plays.

I like Dan Williams as well but he seems to be moving up in the middle of the first after his senior bowl workouts.

What about a trade for Dorsey? He does not fit the Chiefs new 3-4 defense. Not sure what it would take to get him, but I would have to imagine that he is on the trade block in KC.

Last edited by BRSaintsFan; 02-15-2010 at 10:24 AM..
BRSaintsFan is offline  
Old 02-15-2010, 10:51 AM   #64
100th Post
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 449
Re: 2010 NFL Draft

Originally Posted by saintsfan1976 View Post
No, one won rookie of the year and the other tallied 10 sacks...

Look, our two 30yr old LB's played well this season but we still need to add a stud LB w sideline speed and better coverage skills.

Want to argue that?

This years draft is loaded w LB's. I hope we don't pass on two more stars.
An influx of young talent to develop would be great, but I dont see anyone in this year's class that will come in and supplant the starters barring Fujita doesnt leave via FA. Our current crews' smarts and savvy are too valuable to our defense. Daryl Washington is my favorite prospect of the LBs. He played inside in TCU's scheme, but I think he would be the most able to contribute immediately as well as be a player to groom as a starter in a few seasons. He would be a great special teams player, a player with good speed and coverage ability and his versatility would allow him to also contribute when Williams employs the 3-4 package. I also like Weatherspoon alot and have seen him in several mocks, but I dont know if he will drop to us after the combine as I would imagine him to be a player to put up some eye popping numbers.
BRSaintsFan is offline  
Old 02-15-2010, 12:25 PM   #65
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Canton, Ohio
Posts: 2,683
Blog Entries: 2
Re: 2010 NFL Draft

Originally Posted by BRSaintsFan View Post
BPA! BPA! BPA!
first off...good post but i disagree with a lot of what you had to say

BPA is purely a myth...there is no such thing as BPA.....would you be content if we took a QB with our first pick? what about a guard? probably not...and neither of them would help us so it would be a waste of a pick....therefore BPA is a myth

What about Terrence Cody? I certainly dont see him as an every down player for us, but I like Hargrove as a pass rusher on the inside. Would Cody be a good value pick knowing he would be at most a 2 down run stopping specialist in the mold of a Pat Williams who plays the run situations, but slides off the field in obvious passing downs. His size would allow him occupy multiple blockers making it harder to double team Ellis and to free up Vilma to make even more plays.
cody is my favorite player in this draft.....i see him as an every down guy because he was an every down guy in college.....he doesnt have to get a huge push on passing downs to have a major impact because we blitz so much.....all he has to do is occupy blockers and his job is done

the biggest thing is that it would take 2 blockers like you said and that would not only free up ellis and vilma, but also will smith would have a 1 on 1 on the outside....that would be huge

What about a trade for Dorsey? He does not fit the Chiefs new 3-4 defense. Not sure what it would take to get him, but I would have to imagine that he is on the trade block in KC.
ellis is not a NT.....dorsey is not a NT.....neither of them would be a good fit for a long term NT and despite both of them being talented, i have to say we got the better deal of the 2 and them playing right next to each other would not change that

ellis is more of a bull rusher and dorsey is more of a speed guy but both of them better fit the 3-tech and because of that reason alone, i cant see us going after another DT who would play the 3-tech....including dorsey

"deal with it or you can go play the saints and get trounced by 30 and you won't have to worry about it."-colin cowherd
CantonLegend is offline  
Old 02-18-2010, 12:32 AM   #66
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bayou Cane
Posts: 6,460
Blog Entries: 12
Re: 2010 NFL Draft

Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Over DE/DT/WLB/SLB?

I think Harper is a better SS than Shanle or Fujita are OLB's, and better than Grant/McCray at DE, and a better than Ayodele/Clancy at DT.

I'd say SS isn't really a weak link at all.
Are you serious?!?

Harper can't cover schiott; and he hits like a girl!
jeanpierre is offline  
Old 02-18-2010, 12:35 AM   #67
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Canton, Ohio
Posts: 2,683
Blog Entries: 2
Re: 2010 NFL Draft

Originally Posted by jeanpierre View Post
Are you serious?!?

Harper can't cover schiott; and he hits like a girl!
harper could use some work in coverage

however, the fact that you said he hits like a girl amazes me because even in the super bowl i was talking about harper bringing the wood

i told everyone about how hard he hits and then on the first series.....POW.....addai gets plowed after a 6 yard reception by none other than harper!

he is much more of a run stopping SS but hes 2nd on our team in tackles and consistantly puts up solid numbers

hes not an elite SS but hes just what we need, just like shanle and fujita

"deal with it or you can go play the saints and get trounced by 30 and you won't have to worry about it."-colin cowherd
CantonLegend is offline  
Old 02-18-2010, 12:48 AM   #68
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bayou Cane
Posts: 6,460
Blog Entries: 12
Re: 2010 NFL Draft

Originally Posted by CantonLegend View Post
harper could use some work in coverage

however, the fact that you said he hits like a girl amazes me because even in the super bowl i was talking about harper bringing the wood

i told everyone about how hard he hits and then on the first series.....POW.....addai gets plowed after a 6 yard reception by none other than harper!

he is much more of a run stopping SS but hes 2nd on our team in tackles and consistantly puts up solid numbers

hes not an elite SS but hes just what we need, just like shanle and fujita
Think B.S. (Before Sharper)

PI Calls; Harper and Jason David chasing AFTER post patterns; his instincts are awful and he doesn't consistently "bring the wood"...

We need a Strong Safety and if Mays does fall, he'd be an improvement...

But there are options in the draft; including last year's draft...
jeanpierre is offline  
Old 02-18-2010, 01:01 AM   #69
1000 Posts +
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Canton, Ohio
Posts: 2,683
Blog Entries: 2
Re: 2010 NFL Draft

Originally Posted by jeanpierre View Post
Think B.S. (Before Sharper)

PI Calls; Harper and Jason David chasing AFTER post patterns; his instincts are awful and he doesn't consistently "bring the wood"...

We need a Strong Safety and if Mays does fall, he'd be an improvement...

But there are options in the draft; including last year's draft...
heres the thing.....without an all pro SS we arent going to be able to upgrade

SS primarily cover the TEs or the slot receivers

lets look at the TEs we have to cover in our division

kellen winslow jr
tony gonzalez
justin king

we kept all of them out of the endzone.....now not all that credit goes to harper.....but seeing as how the primary job of the safety is to guard the TE i would probably give him most of the credit

consistantly not bringing the wood? i disagree.....id say he is one of the surest tacklers on our team and despite not wrappin up all the time, he does deliver a blow that makes ball carriers get up a little slower

i think safety could be addressed in this draft, but i dont think it would be to upgrade SS.....it would have to be to replace sharper after this season

"deal with it or you can go play the saints and get trounced by 30 and you won't have to worry about it."-colin cowherd
CantonLegend is offline  
Old 02-18-2010, 01:16 AM   #70
Site Donor 2014
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bayou Cane
Posts: 6,460
Blog Entries: 12
Re: 2010 NFL Draft

The good thing about drafting Jenkins, and with Chip Vaughn waiting for his chance; we could geaux CB and slide Jenkins or draft straight for Safety (which, if Mays is there) you do right away...

SS is important and can be an impact position...see Steelers, Pittsburgh, Defense, SS, Polamalu...

Dawan Landry comes to mind...

Strong Safety is our weakest link on defense...
jeanpierre is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://blackandgold.com/saints/25015-2010-nfl-draft.html
Posted By For Type Date Hits
The Latest New Orleans Saints News | SportSpyder This thread Refback 04-28-2010 11:02 PM 1


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 AM.


Copyright 1997 - 2013 - BlackandGold.com
no new posts